Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   car rental in Sicily (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-in-sicily-946854/)

maggiemay2012 Aug 15th, 2012 07:26 PM

car rental in Sicily

I have been looking for a car rental for two weeks in Sicily in September and have found that they require a security deposit to be blocked on our credit card for the duration of the rental period and it could be up to 3000E. Is this true with all rental agencies and if it is, do they tell you before you rent it the amount that will be blocked? Are there agencies that do not require this? Any info would be much appreciated

Michael Aug 15th, 2012 07:57 PM

We used http://www.economycarrentals.com/ in Sicily and they did take the credit card, but as far as I know, there was no block placed on the credit card. It's like in France where I am told that are holding the credit card because if I total the car I will owe 16,000€, which is a joke since that is way beyond the upper limit of my card.

The way around the problem, if there really is one, is to use the ATM card to pay for things with cash--most places preferred that anyway.

maggiemay2012 Aug 15th, 2012 08:08 PM

I hope that you are right, because we were going to pay online before we go and they said they would need our credit card at the counter and would not accept a debit card.

Michael Aug 15th, 2012 10:25 PM

If you have two credit cards on separate accounts, give them one credit card and use the other for day-today use.

plastic_paddy Aug 16th, 2012 02:57 AM

That's a great tip, Michael.

By the way, which local company did Economy put you with in Sicily?

In my experience (booking through holidayautos) Sicily By Car held EUR900 and Sixt held EUR1600 on my card.

Anna_Galea Aug 16th, 2012 04:12 AM

With many car rentals you need to buy daily excess insurance to lower or waiver the blocking of money. Some car hire companies even blocked us money when we still bought daily excess insurance - one particular car hire company had the cheek to block more than 1,000 euros for a ten day trip, but Avis never did this to us, so in these last five years or so we always book with Avi . We also prefer to buy the daily excess for peace of mind that we are totally covered in case of an accident.

You have to be extra careful at rental offices at pick-up, as most rental companies just block money from your credit card without informing you of the amount. This would be refunded back to your credit card when you return car - but if you are on a budget be aware of this. Keep a credit card with enough money to pay for the car hire, so when they try to withdraw a large sum, they would be unable to do so, and would then have to ask you for another card.

But if you do not buy the daily excess insurance, they would block some money for sure, as a guarantee for some minor or major damage to the car - car hire companies block different amounts, and would only probably inform you of this amount on pickup at rental office..

Bottom line, it is important to keep a separate credit car for car hire and put enough money it it for the rental and excess insurance, if you decide to take it, that way you would know immediately if they would be blocking a huge amount of money.

yestravel Aug 16th, 2012 05:40 AM

I think this is standard practice for many auto rentals not just in Italy.

Michael Aug 16th, 2012 08:48 AM

Even if there is an actual block on the credit card for 1000€, would that really affect the use of the card for the duration of the car rental if one has ceiling of $5000 or more on the card? How much would a traveler spend during that period of time?

yestravel Aug 16th, 2012 08:54 AM

that is the big question -- what your credit card limit is and if you have enough left once a hold is put on it to get your thru your trip. Obviously it will vary for each person,

belted_galloway Aug 16th, 2012 09:38 AM

Autoeurope always offer no excess deals ie no block on your card, if you have a issue then you just walk away from the car. The only items that are not covered are galss and tyres.

Not sure if these deals are pen to all nationals.

Be careful in Sicily, as we found, scamming is a local pass time.

Michael Aug 16th, 2012 09:46 AM

<i>By the way, which local company did Economy put you with in Sicily? </i>

I do not recall the name. It may have been a Fiat dealership, as these were the only cars that were rented out.

maggiemay2012 Aug 16th, 2012 11:04 AM

Thank you everyone, I guess we will just have to be very careful and figure out the best route for us.