Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

car rental in Seville, drop off in granada or cordoba?

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need your suggestions - Which is best - to make reservations in the states before we go or when we get there? Is there a difference in price? What kind of car is best for a family of 4 with luggage? If we have to end up in Madrid which is the best place for drop off??
Thank you!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Definitely rent from the states. Furthermore, rent from a company that have USA reps; i.e. Hertz, Alamo, Avis. You do not want to find yourselves in a contentious situation where you won't be on familiar grounds. I have rented and recommend Hertz, Alamo, and Auto Europe in Spain. Worth the difference, which I believe is not substantial enough to switch.

I STRONGLY recommend you stick to the minimum for you: mid-size. Main factors: parking, fuel costs, maneuvering.

Best place to drop off is the airport. Best bet is to ask the car rental where can you drop off the car without drop off charges, i.e. I rented from Auto Europe at Estacion Santa Justa in Sevilla and drop off the car at the Barajas Madrid airport the night before with no drop off charges. I got a rate of about $180/week, small car, Nov 2004.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Your title and message have me confused. If you are renting in Sevilla, drive to Granada and drop it off there. The AVE train can take you to Cordoba in 45 minutes and you don't need a car in that town. The AVE train can also get you to Madrid in about 2 to 2 and a half hours from Cordoba. You can also drop your car rentals off at train stations easily. Thats what we did and we rented from Autoeurope before we left on our trip.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:16 AM

It is best to make rental car reservations in the states in advance. That way you can do some comparison shopping, and take advantage of any sales or promotions. If you wait until you get to Spain, a rental car will cost more.

We rented a car at the train station in Seville. You will not need a car in Seville, and parking is expensive. So pick up the rental car on the day you leave Seville.

You will be fine with a midsize car. Don't get anything underpowered. For the two of us, we rented a VW Polo that had a 1.2 litre engine. That car barely made it over the mountains and hills. A 1.4 or 1.6 liter engine would have been better for us.

Woody
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I've rented a car for Andalucia and planned to drop it off at the airport in Sevilla before I stay there for a couple of days -- would it be easier if I dropped it off at the Sevilla train station? I was trying to avoid driving in the city, but if it's not too hard to get to the train station it sounds like it could be easier than the airport (and cheaper to get a taxi to my hotel). Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Abbydog,

I suggest returning your rental car at the location nearest your hotel. Taxis are plentiful at both the train station and the airport. The train station is very modern and is not in the city's center, so you don't have to worry about the small, confusing, one way streets to get there.

Woody
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM
mjs

I too am confused about your need for a car to get between Seville, Cordoba and Madrid as the AVE would be the easiest and fastest way between those points. I also disagree on the advice of getting a midsize for a family of four with luggage. We are a family of four that travels with one carryon each and two 22 inch and one 24 inch suitcase (mom) and one medium size garment bag and there is no way that a midsize car in Europe that is not a station wagon will hold us. A midsize is ok to travel around but not large enough if you include luggage. We have used a Ford Mondeo? station wagon in the past which would work if you do not have more luggage than we carry. A mini van might be your best bet. Agree with making reservations from the US. Driving in Seville is a real pain as street signs are difficult to find. We rented from the train station in Seville and once you find yourself out of the city, driving is easy.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM

We rented a mid-size in Spain for a May 1999 trip, four adults. Not a problem with luggage whatsoever, everybody had a small suitcase and carryon. Very efficient packers, if I may say.

On the Nov 2004 trip, we rented on our way out of Seville, traveled at leisure around Andalucia, went on to Granada, on our way up to Madrid stopped in Toledo. My mother still talks about this trip. Car made sense for us because my Mother wanted to take her time and visit the area her father came from. If I was pressed by time, I would use the train/bus.