Search

45 minute connection in dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
45 minute connection in dusseldorf

Hi,
I'll be connecting in Dusseldorf for the US from Greece. My airline from Greece is Aegean. Will 45 minutes be enough time to connect, assuming my Greek flight is on time into Dusseldorf?
Thanks
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 04:37 AM

No. Your arriving plane needs to get to a gate, and you need to disembark, you have to go through security again at Dusseldorf, and for flying to the US that can take some time. Flights close earlier than their scheduled departure time - usually 30 minutes before, sometimes even earlier.
If you baggage can it be checked through? Even if it can it is doubtful it would make it to your onward flight.
If your flight from Greece is at all late, you are screwed unless it is all on one ticket, and I can't see any airline regarding a 45 minute connection being a legal connection time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

It's an e-ticket with orbitz. I can't understand why these connections are even offered. Had a feeling it wouldn't work, but now I know not to try it. Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also have to go through Passport Control.

What airline are you flying on to the US?

Air Berlin is notoriously late, so if it is that airline you might make it.

Aegean is usually on time.

Düsseldorf Airport is an absolute nightmare to navigate.

When you fly in from Greece you should have to go upstairs on escalators to get to Departures Area.

After you get through security and Passport, you have to walk through shopping mall area to your gate.

Life is tough at Düsseldorf Airport.

Thin
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 10:07 AM

Themi: The connections are calculated by computer algorhythms, not human clerks squinting at calendars. What is do-able in cyberspace does not always match what happens down here on earth, as I imagine you have encountered elsewhere. A key problem that gets lost, as a previous poster alluded to, is that departing aircraft now lock the cabin doors 30 minutes or more in advance of the stated departure. That would give you 15 minutes from landing. Lots of luck.
Now, Aegean is a member of Star Alliance and if your second flight is with a partner in that alliance, you might have some leeway. At least you should be able to book your luggage through to destination.
Orbitz and the many other on-line agencies are good at combining airlines, less good at follow-up service. You might look closely at your ticket to see who exactly is running the flights to get an idea of your chances.
But for next time: Consumer beware.