Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car rental in Nice ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-in-nice-226458/)

Mori May 29th, 2002 03:34 PM

Car rental in Nice ??

Does anyone out there have any experience with car rentals in Nice? Need a weekly rental for end of June but cannot choose between major franchises and local agencies.<BR>Merci

Capo May 29th, 2002 04:11 PM

Hi Mori. Try AutoEurope or Kemwel. Very competitive rates and, every time I've used them, they've used the Europcar company, with locations at the Nice airport and also downtown, near the Promenade des Anglais.

Paula May 29th, 2002 07:40 PM

I'd go with Capo's recco if I were you...from what I've heard AutoEurope is good. Whatever you do, don'rent from Hertz. We did in Nice and are still fighting with them (luckily we put in on American Express, but still).

Sherry May 30th, 2002 03:38 AM

Hi Mori. I rented from Europcar and picked up at the Nice airport. It was easy to get the car and return.<BR>Even if you have an early plane, there is a drop box for the key.<BR>The airport shuttle bus takes you from the terminal to the car rental lots which are located on airport premises.

Lori May 30th, 2002 04:52 AM

We rented from Avis. We picked the car up at the Gare SNCF, and dropped it off at their office on Place Massena. No problem.

MC May 30th, 2002 05:50 AM

To Paula: I'm curious why you don't recommend Hertz (I was thinking of renting from them, Nice!)?<BR>I would appreciate your input.

Brian in Atlanta May 30th, 2002 05:56 AM

Not to doubt Paula's experience, but we rented from Hertz in Nice last year with no problems.

StCirq May 30th, 2002 06:00 AM

I recommend AutoEurope also. Been renting from them for 10+ years and never had a problem. They will match anyone else's prices, too, and I often find myself with an unexpected upgrade.

sabina May 30th, 2002 06:47 AM

we also rented from autoeurope, and the recomendation that i have is to put both the deposite and the full charge of the car on a visa card which has a car rental protection. we did not know this until we got a bill for $1000 repair that the car needed due to a few scratches that were on it when we returned it. good that the visa covered the repair. also, if you don't drive manual, make sure you reserve an automatic b/c in europe all the cars are manual unless otherwise requested and they may not have a car availible in automatic transmition.

xx May 31st, 2002 05:28 AM

ttt

tania May 31st, 2002 01:10 PM

We also used Europcar in Nice. No problem. <BR><BR>I wouldn't recommend an automatic around Nice. The grades are too steep and I ended up downshifting instead of braking. A few signs around Nice tell you to do this anyway.<BR><BR>Always take the time the check the damage diagram the car rental place wants you to sign. Twice, I've caught a lot of damage: the two times I've used my gold car primary coverage. I suspect they simply want to stick it to the insurance companies to pay for damages.<BR><BR>Consumer beware!

Paula May 31st, 2002 02:11 PM

Re: why we didn't like Hertz. Basically, they did not honor their contract which stated that they would stay open later if requested. Our train did not arrive until 18:45 on a Saturday and they only stay open 'til 18:00. We requested to pick up the car at 18:45, but they would not honor this request after we spent over 2 hours on the phone trying to speak with someone (just they way you want to spend your vacation time, huh?) It gets complicated and if you decide to rent from them, fine--I hope you have a better experience. We have rented from Avis in the past and have been very satisfied and I've heard good things about Europcar (and saw their offices open late in many train stations). So there are good options out there.