Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car rental in Munich, which is easier: Airport or Rail station? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-in-munich-which-is-easier-airport-or-rail-station-631888/)

Anika Jul 18th, 2006 09:18 AM

Car rental in Munich, which is easier: Airport or Rail station?

We are flying into MUC on a Sunday, when most car rental places are closed, so we have to rent from either the main rail station or the airport (same cost for both). Our hotel is in Starnberg, about 15 km south west of Munich. Any thoughts on which would be easier: a) Rent the car at the airport and navigate around the city to arrive in Starnberg, or b) Take the train to the main rail station, rent the car there and drive to Starnberg. It will be just my husband and myself, we'll each have one small suitcase and one carry on. Thanks!

Budman Jul 18th, 2006 09:29 AM

Rent at the airport. It's all highway/Ring Road around Munich. Just get yourself a good map or better yet a GPS. ((b))

FlyFish Jul 18th, 2006 09:57 AM

I rented a car from Avis at the airport last year and returned it a week later to the Hauptbanhof (actually to the basement parking garage of a hotel a block or so away from the station). I agree the airport is easier. Much easier.

norrisken Jul 18th, 2006 09:58 AM

And traffic will be fairly light Sunday AM. Easy exit from the airport.
The GPS system works very well. Includes traffic slow down updates. Nicknamed "Suzy"

Dukey Jul 18th, 2006 10:09 AM

I assume you are aware that Starnberg is also on the S-Bahn.

Anika Jul 18th, 2006 12:01 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess the airport is the way to go. We definitely plan on getting the GPS system, and we have a German road atlas. Our hotel is actually smack between the S-bahn stations in Starnberg (nord) and Gauting, not withing convenient walking distance to the stations. However we will be driving to the train station to take the S-bahn in for Oktoberfest. Then we will take the car for the rest of our travels through Bavaria and the Black Forest. Thanks again!

Budman Jul 18th, 2006 12:51 PM

Enjoy your trip. We had a GPS on our last trip to Germany/Switzerland and didn't open a map the entire 12 days. If we missed a turn, we could blame it on the GPS and not each other. You'll love it.

Enjoy the Octoberfest and have a liter for me. :-) ((b))

treplow Jul 18th, 2006 03:07 PM

In case your GPS gives you problems, here is the way we went before GPS.

Take the airport exit road, head south on the A-9 autobahn toward Munich. Take the exit 72 and follow the signs marked Salzburg. This puts you on the Munich by-pass autobahn A-99. Continue on the A-99 past the Salzburg exit to the exit for the A-95, marked Garmisch Partenkirchen. Take the A-95 to exit 4. Route 952 will take you directly to Starnberg.

norrisken Jul 18th, 2006 04:25 PM

Treplow,
Since its a Sunday morning should they be able to take the A9 into Munich, use the Mittlerer Ring and to A95? Traffic will be light and its much shorter. About 25km. And see the Olympic Park. My aunt lives out in Moosach. I've come to enjoy that drive, maybe because of what awaits at the end for me!

AisleSeat Jul 18th, 2006 05:55 PM

I assume you are renting the car to go out on day trips since you probably will not want to drive it in and around Munich. The public transporation is good and parking is expensive and difficult. Also note the 19% (I think) surtax on cars rented at Airports and Train stations. If there is any way to rent from a lot away from the train station or airport you could same quite a bit.

Budman Jul 18th, 2006 06:04 PM

I'm not sure what Anika's schedule is or whom she is renting from.

We flew into Munich in May and found it was less expensive to pick up our rental car (autoeurope.com) Avis in a downtown Munich location vs. the airport or the train station. We took the S-bahn to the Hauptbahnhof and then a short taxi to the Avis rental car location. Only problem, they couldn't guarantee a GPS. We brought our own. ((b))

Anika Jul 19th, 2006 07:18 AM

You're all so helpful! Thanks for the driving directions. It looks like I can get a good deal directly through Hertz, they are quoting much less than autoeurope for some reason (and my husband is a top level club member which makes it easier to guarantee the GPS). Yes, I'm aware of the ugly taxes at the rail station and the airport, but since we need to pick up the car on Sunday when the city stations are closed we don't have much of a choice. We plan to travel through Bavaria and the Black Forest in the car, I wouldn't dare try to explore Munich in a car! We'll drop the car off when we return to Munich at the end of our trip and explore Munich using public transportation and our feet! Thanks everyone!