Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car rental in Munich, driving south to Mittenwald (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-in-munich-driving-south-to-mittenwald-937614/)

caseyhen Jun 3rd, 2012 12:44 PM

Car rental in Munich, driving south to Mittenwald

Hello again, this time wanting to ask a final question or two before clicking "reserve" on our Sixt car rental. We'll be picking a car up in Munich and driving south, staying for two nights in Mittenwald, then seeing castles and driving on to Rothenburg for two nights. We'll go to Bamberg on the last car rental day and drop the car there, spend the night, then take the direct train back to Berlin.

Cowboy1968 has offered sage advice as usual, telling us that it isn't too bad to drive out of Munich but that as an alternative we could take the S-Bahn to Pullach and rent the car there, making for an easier drive away from Munich. So we're torn. I'd love to avoid dragging the bags onto and off the S-Bahn, up the steps at Pullach (only stairs there) and like the convenience of renting close to our hotel (either Train Station or Bayerischer Hof, just a few blocks away.

Anyone else have experience driving out of Munich (as a novice, that is?). Traffic isn't a problem as long as it's not confusing and we're stuck in the wrong lane and end up going the wrong way and having a breakdown (and I'm not talking about the car here...). Opinions? Take the extra subway ride and save ourselves the stress of Munich driving, or get the car in town and have a relatively straightforward drive south?

caseyhen Jun 3rd, 2012 12:54 PM

So yes, there is a significant surcharge at the central train station location, so if we rent in town it will be from the Bayerischer Hof location, Promenadeplatz 2-6...doesn't look like too far a walk, anyone have an idea what this walk will be like with bags...or maybe DH can pick up the car and come pick me up at our hotel (Schillerstrasse 9, just below the Hauptbanhof)? This could be the deciding factor, maybe just as easy to get the S Bahn to Pullach as walk to this station?

Aramis Jun 3rd, 2012 01:57 PM

casey - its about a 1.1 km walk, or 15 minutes. Not great dragging a standard suitcase.

The Sixt office is right at the S-Bahn station a 19 minute ride with no changes from the Hauptbahnhof.

I would probably go get the car, without any luggage, and then come back and pick you up provided I had programmed both addresses in the GPS beforehand.

If that isn't appealing to your husband (I'm sure it works great for you :-) ) then a cab for both of you to the Bayerischer Hof would be my second choice, the S-Bahn to Pullach third and walking to the BH, last.

Munich is easy to drive out of, so go with your husband's comfort level.

caseyhen Jun 3rd, 2012 07:31 PM

Thanks Aramis. I think we'll go with Bayerischer Hof, then, and the cab there may be the best way to go...getting the S-Bahn to Pullach sounds quite doable but unfortunately when I think of dragging bags on and off, then up the stairs at Pullach, I get tired :-). We typically do fine with city driving but have had some memorable challenges, including driving out of Florence and again out of Nice, that really ended well but gave us a few tense moments. Then again, we had no GPS back then.

logos999 Jun 3rd, 2012 09:21 PM

Get a special discount for CIA members and family? Otherwise, why would anybody want to rent a car in Pullach. It's not one of the easy to reach places or a must see.
Will do City driving now, 7.20am still no problem.

Traveler_A Jun 4th, 2012 04:48 AM

What about taking the train from Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and renting a car there for the remainder of the trip? You could return the car near Berlin?

AisleSeat Jun 4th, 2012 11:46 AM

We have rented from a lot that is about 4-5 blocks fromt the Hauptbahnhof. If you have your luggage with you take a taxi.

caseyhen Jun 4th, 2012 02:06 PM

Sticking with Bayerischer Hof, think that must be the one you're talking about, not at the train station but somewhat nearby. Sounds like a plan to us, cab to the car, drive right on out of the city. We'll manage the city driving, especially hearing that though there may be traffic (though it will be midmorning so not as worried) the route is not complicated. And we will have our GPS.

Each "reserve" button pushed bring us one step closer!

Cowboy1968 Jun 4th, 2012 02:19 PM

There is a Sixt location (usually labelled Sixt Munich City Center) a stone's throw from the central station. But the official surcharges for station/airport rentals do not apply there.
It's in the Building of the Königshof hotel, and the street address should be either Karlsplatz or Prielmayerstr.

pauljagman Jun 4th, 2012 02:27 PM

thanks for the info cowboy

AisleSeat Jun 4th, 2012 06:57 PM

Try Gemutlichkeit travels Gemut.com for your car rental. Thety have always helped us a lot.

Traveler_A Aug 6th, 2012 03:01 PM

If the car rental agency is out of compact cars (even though one was supposedly reserved in advance), do not accept a minivan as a substitute if you're going to drive in Mittenwald or other small towns. The roads and parking lots make driving a large vehicle challenging. I speak from experience!