Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car Rental in Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-in-ireland-310772/)

KarenMae Apr 25th, 2003 02:56 PM

Car Rental in Ireland

Message: We are planning our fourth trip to Ireland this May and have always rented cars from Dan Dooley. We have been 100% satisfied. I did come across irishcarrentals.com, however, and their price is $175 less than Dan Dooley. That's including the CDW, etc. Has anyone had experience with irishcarrentals.com?

chip Apr 26th, 2003 11:07 AM

Karen, I hope someone replies, because I just checked rates, we are going in June, and irishcarrentals was 225 Euros less than Dan Dooley and 161 Euros less than Thrifty. (I am using my platinum mastercard, so I hope to save on CDW as suggested on other posts).

Pittsburgher Apr 26th, 2003 01:21 PM

You might ask the Dan Dooley rep if they can match the prices you were quoted by the other companies. It seems to me that on our last trip (2 yrs ago) I told them the rate another company had quoted and they came very close to matching it when I told them I was a repeat customer and that I preferred to rent from them. Can't hurt to ask!

Sher Apr 26th, 2003 07:41 PM

Are any of you flying with Aer Lingus?

I had reserved and paid for a car with Auto Europe for seven days, automatic (Nissan Micra) in May (SNN)pick up and return for $209 plus the $20 airport fee, which is the very cheapest I could find anywhere. Using my Platinum card for the insurance. This is only one driver.

Well, Aer Lingus will provide a car from Hertz (same car), same drop off and pick up except we have an eight hour grace period. Both my husband and I can drive. The airport tax is included and there is zero, zippo, no deductible for $336. All vat, all taxes, everything.

I checked and this is even cheaper than Dan Dooley.

I decided to take the whole enchilada for $100 more. No taking pictures of the car, no thinking about the scratches that were there etc.

wgood35801 Apr 27th, 2003 02:35 PM

Whatever you do, be sure to pay extra and get the $0 deductible. We had full coverage and hit a pothole and had to have a $160 tire replaced. The full coverage covered this cost.

uncle_sam Apr 27th, 2003 03:27 PM

I just reserved a manual compact with Avis for 8 days and the rate was $288...I'm happy!

US

sss Apr 27th, 2003 07:51 PM

I am even happier! I have just reserved a manual Opal for 14 days for $200!!!

Sher Apr 28th, 2003 03:27 AM

My husband will not try the manual. So we just know we have to pay the extra for the automatic.
I really am happy with the prices I got too.
Seven days $233, or seven days $336(zero deductible). This includes airport tax also.

Lynnford Apr 28th, 2003 05:54 AM

Where are you all getting these great rates from? I am getting a quote from Budget-Ireland of $175 for 8 days, but it doesn't have many details of what's included on the site, so I'm a bit nervous...

Any help would be much appreciated!