Car Rental in Ireland

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Phyllis

Car Rental in Ireland

Hi...
I have reserved a car in Ireland through Expedia.com here in the United States. I have been reading some messages and they say what I have been quoted for a weekly rate here will be three times as much when I pick up my car in Ireland. Is this a true fact??? I have supposedly rented a car for 7 days for $119.00 total, is this what I will be charged once I get there?? Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be blind sided when I arrive in Ireland.
Phyllis

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:58 PM
shannon

Phyllis,

Honestly, I believe you may pay exactly what you were quoted. If you are reserving a stick shift, then I believe you will be fine. I was quoted a great rate and was told it would be an automatic which turned out to be too good to be true. It was a stick shift when I arrived, but I payed about what you are paying. I went through a third party which brought me to hertz (I think). I may have gotten an even better rate if I went through Dan Dooley. Everyone rants and raves about the company and that booth had the longest line in SNN.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Sandy

We rented from Dan Dooley and paid exactly what was quoted. They even reimbursed us for a ruined tire and most car rental companies won't pay for tires. We were VERY impressed and will definitely book from them again.

Good luck and you'll have a great time in Ireland, we did.

Sandy

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Milo

Expedia's quotes are the bare mininum without the VAT and any insurances. Other companies quote rates with all this included. With these extras it will at least double the cost.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Judy

Hi Phyllis, FYI, just rented an economy thru Dan Dooley, but we are going in high season in Aug. and are paying 305$ for everything.....Judy

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Neil

Hi:

I rented from www.thrifty.com and then selected the Ireland site. I had ended paying the exact rate quoted. For god's sake, bring your e-mail receipt with you and/or any confirmation number.

Enjoy Ireland.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Kathleen

Hi Phyllis,

The problem I had the last time I rented a car in Ireland, last October, was that
VISA no longer covers insurance in Ireland. Mastercard still does, I believe. You should check with your
credit card company.

By the time insurance and VAT were added, the price of my car was almost double what had been originally quoted.

(I got an automatic with no difficulty.)

Have a good trip,
Kathleen

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Pat

It's worth mentioning as well, the gas in Ireland is much, much more expensive than you've been used to in the U.S.

Don't hurt peoples' feelings by whining about it. They won't appreciate it.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 12:32 AM
C. Anne

Phyllis,
When travelling to Ireland, my family and I have (for years) rented from Budget Ireland...they have an 800 # in the US...don't have it readily available now though (as I've permanently moved to Ireland now). Try call 800 information for the #. My parents always get a great deal--and they rent anywhere from two to six weeks at a time. We've never had a problem with this company, and my parents rent at least two or three times a year at minimum. If I get the phone number, I'll post it here for you later. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Phyllis

Thanks everyone..I am renting my car through Payless Car Rental, and I just got off the phone with them and the VAT Tax and car insurance was not included in the $119.00 price. After they added everything up the total we will end up paying for the 7 days is approximately $276.00. Is this considered a good deal or should research some more. I can always cancel my reservation with Payless and go with another company. What do you think???????
Thanks for all your help..
Phyllis

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Phyllis

I also am not familiar with "Dan Dooley". Who is he????
Phyllis

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:20 PM
kam

Dan Dooley is the Hertz of Ireland. We rented from Sixt, a German rental agency that rents in Ireland. Our rate was the same as quoted on the email.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Bernadette

Hi

If you don't want to pay the insurance (it's called CDW for Collision Damage Waiver) you will have to rent with a PLATINUM MASTERCARD. You do not need to buy the CDW -- we never have and it has saved us lots.

Everyone has to pay VAT -- that is 12.5 percent of the total. So, at $119 a week (which is a typical price for a standard 2-door Ford Fiesta off-season), you will only be paying a little extra.

Bring your email confirmation and you won't have a problem.

Enjoy!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Michelle

That price sounds fine to me. But to check it out the Irish tourist Board website at http://www.ireland.travel.ie
have a good section on car rental in Ireland.

Here you will find information prices, location etc on car rental companies in Ireland.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Judy

Hello All, did some more research and found 180$ rate for week in August thru Expedia. Could not finish the booking, went to the Thrifty.com car rental site(the one with the great rate)and booked 170 ipds for a week. That is almost 100$ cheaper than Dan Dooley. I printed it out and will bring it with me.
FYI, Judy