Car rental in Iceland

Oct 27th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Car rental in Iceland

I am planning a European trip with my fiancé in June and using Iceland air. We have an option to take a couple day layover in Iceland and explore the southern coast. After reading reviews on the rental car agencies it appears that every single one is defrauding people based on made up damages. Are there any trustworthy car rental agencies in Iceland? Are these reviews for real? If so, save for not exploring Iceland … Is there any way to protect ourselves from this fraudulent behavior?

Thanks
-Steve
Oct 27th, 2015, 10:13 PM

You can book cars online through budget.is, reykjavikcars.com, hertz.is
Oct 28th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

All three had horror stories Associated with them. The two American companies were the worst.
Oct 29th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

I just called Capitol one and they have their own damage coverage, but I have to refuse cdw. So far every rental has cdw already included in the price..... How do I refuse it if it's already included?
Oct 29th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I just spoke to the rental insurance co for master card and they informed me that if the cdw is part of the price then I'm still protected by my cc. It's only when cdw is offered as an option that one must decline it. I feel better knowing that Capitol one's got my back. Yikes!!' What a pain in the *** that was!!
Nov 1st, 2015, 07:20 AM

You will never read good stories about car rentals. The people whom are content rarely post. Only people with problems will post. I returned past friday, and had booked a car with Avis.
Everything was great, in spite of the negative reviews. Avis was the cheapest one for me.
I booked trough https://guidetoiceland.is/iceland-car-rentals . It's easier not to take an insurance if you book it trough another site, and rather take insurance when you pick up the car.
Feb 17th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Hello,

I had been around 6 times to Iceland and I have tried different car rentals. My experience is to use local car rental, they are cheaper and they use to have a better customer care service...

I had use Geysir (www.geysir.com) and Reykjavík Auto (www.reykjavikauto.com) but I recommend you also these companies:

Cars Iceland (www.carsiceland.com)
Viking Car Rental (www.vikingcarrental.is)
Reykjavík Cars (www.reykjavikcars.com)

Good luck everyone!

Search this Thread