Reload this Page >

Car rental in Germany

Search

Car rental in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Adam

Car rental in Germany

My family of 3 needs to get from Frankfurt to Munich. I considered flying or taking the train but it occurred to me that a one way car rental might make more sense.<BR><BR>What is the best car rental company in Europe? Should I stick to Hertz or Avis because it might be easier to arrange from the US?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Dick Yeager

Hi Adam,<BR><BR>When are you going? We (wife and I) are flying into Frankfurt next month and decided to take the high speed train from Franfurt airport to Munich. After 6 days in Munich, we are then renting a car through AutoEurope for the remainder of our trip.<BR><BR>On this forum, Auto Europe seems to get the votes as best priced. They are a broker. Our car for the final 15 days of our trip will be an Avis car booked through Auto Europe.<BR><BR>I just thought it would be fun to take the high speed train. It would also give us a chance to get everything back together after a 9 hour flight.<BR><BR>Dick<BR><BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Adam

What is the "high speed train"? The trains I looked into take 3-4 hours Frankfurt to Munich. Is there something faster and where do I find info on it?<BR><BR>Does Auto Europe have a web site?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Russ

You can't arrange just one day's rental through Autoeurope - there's a 3-day minimum - so try one of the big guys.<BR><BR>The car is probably fastest if you just want to get there, but you'll have to add in the time it takes to pick up and drop the car. The high speed trains will require about 3.5 hours, but will run you about 75 Euros each, less for kids. Cheapest way: you can all get to Munich for 28 Euros total if you take the train on Sat or Sun on a "Sch&ouml;nes Wochenende" ticket, a daypass good on the regional trains, but the trip will take longer - like 6 hours. So it just depends on what kind of journey this is for you - a race? a leisurely adventure? an exercise in economy? It's good to have choices.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Rita

We'll be in Germany in May and are renting our car through Kemwel (www.kemwel.com). The folks (I've called twice) couldn't have been nicer! We're looking forward to our first trip to Germany -- this website has been most helpful.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Ken Horn

Adam- I rented a car from Hertz one way between Munchen and Berlin several years ago. It was much less expensive and took less time than the train. (It was a Sunday and the traffic wasn't bad.)The trip from Frankfurt to Munchen will take about 3&1/2 to 4 hours if the traffic is not too bad. Regardless of what you hear, there are some stretches of the Autobahn that have speed limits and they are patrolled. <BR> That said, the "Schones Wochenende" train deal sounds hard to beat if you are traveling on the weekend & don't mind the extra time. Buy some lunchmeat and cheese and bread and wine before you get on the train and have a picnic. <BR> Whichever way you go, have a good time!<BR>Ken

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Anna

We rented from Sixt last fall. We reserved via the internet and everything worked out fine. We had a nice new car, no problems at all.<BR>http://www.e-sixt.com/