Car Rental in France - Insurance

Aug 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 92
Car Rental in France - Insurance

Will be renting a car in France next month. Although I have rented overseas before it has been a while; I am not 100% certain what insurance I need to get through the rental company and what is covered through my Master Card. I believe Master Card will help deal with Collision claims. Is it liability insurance that I must get? Is there anything else that I need to have?
Skip01 is offline  
Aug 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,991
Liability is automatically included in your rental agreement.
Michael is offline  
Aug 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 200
Call your credit card company. Some cards are only good for a limited time - i.e. 15 days or less. Some counties may be excluded (Like Ireland or Italy). When I use my credit card for the rental I decline everything - that's the advantage of using it in the first place. I've used MC and Visa and it varies by plan, so call first and put your mind at ease. France should be no problem, I have never heard of a card excluding France.
JoeCal is offline  
Aug 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 92
So when rental request is asking if you want liablity insurance; is that just to provide coverage over the dollar amount they already provide; or a gimmick for more money on the car company part. Any idea wht the liability amount they provide generally is?
Skip01 is offline  
Aug 7th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 200
The rental company always tries to sell you added insurance. According to my understanding of the coverage offered by credit cards, you HAVE to decline the rental insurance. I always call the card and let them know I am going and to confirm what I need to do. (Luckily never had need to collect on it). I believe the liability (minimum) is set by law in each country.

There is a lot of information on this in Fodor's Forum - do a search on car rental or rental insurance.
Have a great trip.
JoeCal is offline  
Aug 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,819
I hve never had a rental company in France ask me if I want liability insurance, it is mandatory, I thought. In any case, I just rented one through Kemwel (which was Europcar agency used in France) and liability insurance was included in the fee paid Kemwel. I had collision through both my credit card and a travel insurance policy I bought, so really was well-covered (several plans will include it for about the same price as other policies, you have to compare if you want it -- Access America Deluxe includes it, for one).

However, the mandatory liability insurance you should have included in the quote does not cover YOU, it only covers other people, I'll bet. So if you don't have health insurance that covers you abroad in some way (either existing or through travel insurance), you should get liability for yourself. Maybe that is what you are being asked, I don't know. I don't know if they sell you that extra in France, as I didn't need it as I also had double coverage on that point (my own insurance covers me abroad, and of course, I had that travel policy). IN any case, the liability I had included in my payment in France was only for the other party, not for me.
Christina is online now  
Aug 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,991
Liability insurance is always for the other party, that's its meaning. For oneself, medical insurance provides the coverage if one does not have another medical insurance policy; which is a moot point for French drivers since France has essentially universal health care. Liability covers damage to the other car, CDW covers damage to the driver's car. At least that is my understanding. As for the waiver of extra insurance, that is the CDW. As said by another poster, it must be declined if the credit card is to cover it. Credit card coverage is usually better because it involves no deductible, but the renter has to pay for the repairs and then be reimbursed.
Michael is offline  
Aug 8th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,319
The standard insurance normally covers everything except for an excess on any claim.The CDW covers this excess. The amount of the excess (and daily charge) has increased over the years - it is now around €1000 for a small car and CDW is up to €15 per day.

CDW gives reassurance in the event of collision damage, but may not cover tyres or windscreens. Windscreen and tyres can be surprisingly expensive to replace these days !

You have a number of options :

1)Accept the rental company CDW daily cover.

2)Take the risk, and decline the CDW cover. Arithmetic says that after 60 odd days with no damage, you are in pocket !

3)Decline the cover knowing that your credit card covers it. Always check because different cards issued in different countries have different T&C's.This will involve you paying out in a different country, then trying to recover the cost from the cc company.

4)Take out a specific policy for this excess. Many expats and regular travellers take this ( ). There are various options and terms, but a typical European annual policy has :
*Cover for up to 7 additional drivers
*Annual cover £49.00 (ages 21 - 74 only)
*£2000 excess cover
*Covers Excess on damage to the rental vehicle, theft and damage to windows and tyres.

mpprh is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Oct 23rd, 2018 07:33 AM
May 18th, 2011 03:59 PM
Feb 14th, 2010 06:44 AM
Jul 26th, 2003 05:37 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:39 AM.