Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental in Florence - can rent car from train station?

Jan 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

We will be arriving in Florence by train from Venice and wish to rent a car to travel around Tuscany. I have 2 questions -our rental villa is in Montepulciano so can we actually take train from Venice direct to a closer location other than Florence, ie; Siena? And if arriving in Florence after all, can we rent our car directly at train station or do we have to taxi or bus it to car rental agency? Thanks so much for your assistance with this. I have tried to find out by searching this site and car rental/train sites but no luck.
Jan 16th, 2005, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi Lily,

If you go to www.autoeurope, http://www.novarentacar.com/ and https://www.kemwel.com/bookingengine/car.cfm
and simulate rentig a car, you will find the addresses of their rental offices.

You can find these addresses on the maps at www.mappy.com, www.multimap.com and www.viamichelin.com.

Jan 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. I got most of the addresses but couldn't figure out if they were acutally in the train station. I'll try contacting the car rental agencies directly by phone - there doesn't seem to be a way to contact them on the site itself.
Jan 16th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Lily. I have rented cars in Florence. Once was for Hertz. Although the address is given at the train station, it is about three blocks or so from the there. It is an easy walk, just a little difficult to find because I had never been in Florence before and didn't know the streets.
The second time was with Europcar. It also is a few blocks from the station if I remember correctly. But we approached the office from our hotel. It was very close, I remember because we walked from the hotel. The office was between our hotel and the station.

IMHO, I would take the Eurostar from Venice to Florence and pick up the car.

If I can find the rental car office and drive out of Florence never having been in Italy before, anyone can!
Jan 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Lily, I have a detailed map of Florence, if you want to post the address of the car rental agency I should be able to tell you where it is in relation to the Florence train station.
Jan 17th, 2005, 02:11 AM

Siena and Montepulciano are south of Florence, and coming from Venice you would have to go through Florence to get to Siena. If you can rent a car in Siena and you donít want to first see Florence, then I would take the train to Siena from Venice. (Note tha most trains from Venice to Sienna will require a change in Florence.) You may be able to return the car in Florence if youwant to see Florence at the end of the trip; or you can make a day trip to Florence from Montepulciano (IMO however not the best way to see Florence.)

I assume you have checked on whether you can rent in Montepulciano itself and/or return the car in Siena or Florence and have found that you can only rent in Florence or Siena, or that it is much more expensive to rent in Montepulciano.

If you decide to rent from Florence, there are no rental car services in the train station, as noted above, they are a few blocks away and require walking to them with your bags. IMO, you should consider renting from the airport where the car rental desks are easy to find and you donít have to figure out how to get out of the city (lots of one-way and narrow streets and some traffic issues.) The airport offices are open longer hours, esp on Sunday, which is more convenient. The airport is about 10 minutes by taxi from Santa Maria Novella (i.e., Florence main train station) and should cost under $10 one way, there is also public bus service.

Jan 17th, 2005, 05:18 AM

There is no reason to try to rent a car in Montepulciano as you can't get there by train. That silly train station sometimes listed as Montepulciano isn't there at all, but miles out in the country with no car rentals there, no busses timed with the train arrivals, and no taxis. If you wanted to rent when you got to Montepulciano, the best way is still to take the train to Chiusi and rent the car there.
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:09 AM

I agree--get the car in Chiusi--only :30 from Montepulciano. But, they are limited on car models.
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info - much appreciated! Lily