Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car rental in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-in-florence-682020/)

neglex Feb 22nd, 2007 07:23 AM

Car rental in Florence

We are staying at Villa la Massa in April. We would like to rent a car for 4 days so we can explore on our own. We will be dropping the car off in Rome after a drive thru Umbria and some stops on the way. The hotel recommends maggiore-budget, because they will bring the card to the hotel. I do not have any pricing yet. Certainly, this is the most convenient. Are there other options we should look at? What kind of car would be good for a family of 4-we will have luggage that needs to be out of sight on the way back. Thanks.

ira Feb 22nd, 2007 07:57 AM

Hi N,

See www.autoeurope.com
www.novacarhire.com
www.gemut.com

You might want to consider dropping the car in Orvieto and taking the train into Rome after seeing the town.

You will need an International Driver's permit in Italy.

((I))

neglex Feb 22nd, 2007 12:31 PM

Thanks Ira. But, where would I get the car?
Nancy

ira Feb 22nd, 2007 01:35 PM

Hi N,

Villa La Massa is about 10 km from downtown Florence, no?

You might save enough in rental cost to take a cab to the rental office.

((I))

neglex Feb 24th, 2007 05:41 PM

Thanks Ira,
Which Florence office is the best location? City center or downtown, or are they pretty much the same?
Nancy

neglex Feb 27th, 2007 04:56 PM

I am having trouble figuring out what to do-sorry! The problem is that we want the car so we can drive around Tusscany at our leisure-4 of us, no luggage. But, on the last day we will be driving back to Rome with 4 suitcases and making stops on the way...dropping the car off at the airport. The luggage needs to be hidden. The rental agents don't know what the cars are really like. I was told that we need a wagon and would get something like a Ford or Passat that would come with a "cover bag" for the luggage. Is this adequate or should we look at something else. Thanks. I really don't know what to do.

neglex Mar 3rd, 2007 06:21 AM

I have a quote from Gemut for a midsize car for $315-actually a Hertz car. They say that the trunk will be 16-18 cf. This includes VAT, CDW and theft with a $450 deductible. I also have a quote from kemwel for a standard car (Alfa 159 or similar-trunk 18 cf) for $400 including VAT, CDW and theft with $0 deductible. This is an Auto Europa car. Gemut and Hertz say that their midsize car and the Alfa have the same size trunks and that we don't need the standard size car. Hertz jumps from the midsize to a station wagon. Does anyone know if this is true? We need to fit 4 people and 4 suitcases in the trunk-1 24" and 3 20-22".
I then called Hertz directly and believe it or not they "matched" the Gemut price and said that it would be $300 with $450 deductible on the CDW and theft. We could add super coverage for 18 Eur/day and have a $0 deductible, but I don't know if it is worth it.

Should we just pay the $400 for the Alfa and not risk getting a 16 cf trunk or is 16 cf big enough? The luggage has to be hidden because we will be making stops and leaving it in the car on our last day? Thanks for your help. I don't know what to do?

ira Mar 3rd, 2007 08:30 AM

Hi N,

>We need to fit 4 people and 4 suitcases in the trunk-1 24" and 3 20-22". <

The AE website says that the Alfa 159 should accomodate 5 people with 2 large and 2 small suitcases.

It also says that it is similar to the Toyota Camry.

I think thatit will be tight.

www.novacarhire.com has a Renault Vel Satis executive sedan that you might want to look at.

What are Gemut and Hertz offering you?

((I))

ekscrunchy Mar 3rd, 2007 09:34 AM

To answer one of your questions: City center and downtown would be more or less the same thing in Florence. The city is really divided into areas that are within the "historic center" and those that are outside. If you have street addresses we can help you out.

neglex Mar 4th, 2007 05:46 AM

Ira,

Gemut says the car will be a Passat or similar-rented thru Hertz. Hert says it will be a Ford Focus or similar and says that they dont have Passats!
I didnt see the Renault that you mentioned. In the mean time, my husbands trunk is just over 18 cf. I took our suitcases and it will fit-didnt put any carryons in though. I would hate to try to drive a "bus" through tuscany. For now I think I will go for the Alfa 159.
Nancy

annhig Mar 4th, 2007 06:19 AM

Hi, neglex -

I wouldn't want to be doing much driving with 4 people and all their luggage in a ford focus!

Definitely go for something bigger, IMO.

regards, ann

neglex Mar 4th, 2007 06:33 AM

Ann,

What about the Alfa Romeo 159?

Nancy

rkkwan Mar 4th, 2007 06:55 AM

Alfa Romeo 159 or the Passat are "standard" car in Europe. Here in the US, it'll be called "mid-sized", like an Accord or Camry. 4 people will sit comfortably, but again, the main issue is whether all your luggage will fit in the trunk out of sight.

One 24" and three 22" should fit in my opinion.

The current Camry is about 4800mm long, the 159 4660mm. It's a fairly large car in Italy.

neglex Mar 4th, 2007 03:47 PM

So, the question is, is it worth paying extra for the Alfa or should I get a intermediate-size car like the Passat. Some companies put the two in the same category and some put the Alfa 159 in the standard category, a step up. If I go with the intermediate, I am worried that with the variability in trunk size we could get one that is too small. I guess if we could get a Passat that might be fine, but who knows what we will get??? What would we do then?

annhig Mar 6th, 2007 07:35 AM

Hi, Nancy,

Sorry I'm not familiar with the alfa, but if it's the same size as the passat you should be OK, so long as your luggage is limited to one reasonable sized piece each.

I admit to being pretty tough with my kids - we have one case between us and one case between them! Even so, I thought DH was being a bit optimistic when we booked a VW golf for trip around mainland europe a few years ago. Oh the relief when the Swiss rental desk decided that as we were returning the car in holland, they would have to give us an opel estate instead. For the same price as it was their mistake!

so err on the side of caution.

Regards, ann