Reload this Page >

Car rental in Eastern Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:33 PM
Paul

<BR>I'm being told that it is tough to take cars through Eastern Europe. I have certain requirements: rent a van (four adults) in Vienna, and drive to Budapest, Cracow, and Prague. Either drop-off in Prague, or return to Vienna if I absolutely have to. Some companies won't allow van into Poland, some won't allow van into Hungary. Anybody experienced with this sort of thing? Any suggestions? Trip planned for Late May into early June (about 7-10 days with car)

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 09:06 PM
Alice the Magyar

Please don't tell Poland and Hungary they are in Eastern Europe! They are in Central Europe and they will let you know it too.<BR>I know a family who came into Hungary with a van from Slovakia and had no problems at all, but it was a rented one, so I think that made all the difference. At least that is what they told me.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 09:13 PM
Art

Hi Paul, I rented a minivan in Germany (Berlin) and drove through Poland, Slovikia, Hungary, Romania, Austria and dropped it off in Frankfurt last September. Check with autoeurope if you can also rent it from Austria. You will progably have to drop it off back in Austria. I don't think that you will be able to drop it off in Poland, but will have to return to a western Europe country. It will be less expensive to return it to the country that you rented it in. You will also need additional insurance for central/eastern Europe. <BR>Good Luck<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:01 PM
Joe

Paul: As Art indicated, AutoEurope is the way to go. They will find you a rental that meets your requirements. I rented a car from them picking it up in Prague, Czeck Republic, did a big circle through Austria, into Hungary, back through Austria and dropped it off at the Prague Airport. I have been renting cars through AutoEurope for years and they provide great service and competative prices.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:31 AM
Tom

I do not know where Alice got her idea about Poland not being in Eastern Europe but it is not true. We people of Poland strongly believe that we are in Eastern Europe. Is anything wrong with that? After seeing this question I asked 23 students in my class what is their belief and we are in Eastern Europe, Alice, and proud of it.<BR><BR>One suggestion Paul:<BR>if you want to take a rental car to a few different countries don't rent it in Poland.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:15 AM
been there..

The reason why it isn't a good idea to take a rental car into these former soviet bloc countries is that they have a very high rate of theft especially for cars that have foreign tags. In Poland it is always wise for one person to stay with the car at all times or pay heavily for guarded secure parking. If you decide not to tell the rental folks where you are taking the car and it does get stolen you will be liable for the full cost of the vehicle, which in europe is very expensive and don't forget to factor in the exchange rate.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
Art

I have to disagree with been there. We picked up a locking device (hooks on brake or clutch pedal and to the steering wheel. There was no extra charge for it. We did try to park in attended parking lots when we could, but it was not always possible. We parked in the back of an apartment building in Gdansk and in front of an apartment building in Krakow close to the old town. In Turon we parked on the street across from the hotel. In Warsaw, we parked in a chained lot across from the hotel. In Brasov Romania, we parked in front of the Hotel. We NEVER left anything in the car to attract thieves. The van had German plates on it. I don't mean to say that there are not car thefts in Central/Eastern Europe, there are. Just use discretion where you park. We did not have any problems. <BR>Been there has one very good point. You must tell the rental co where you are going. We did have our papers checked at one border crossing and you MUST have the proper papers (so called green card) or you will be turned back. You get these from autoeurope (or wherever you rent the car.) There is additional insurance but it was not very much. When I was in budapest 2 years ago, I was staying in a private flat. The end of the week another couple stayed there for one night. We went out to dinner with them and returned about 11:00 PM. At 6:00 AM their car was gone. They went to Avis and got another car, but it was inconvenient for them. We stayed there for 1 night on our way back from Romania and our host had us park the car in a neighbors locked and gated yard for the night. BTW, Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe with a lot to see.<BR>Feel free to email if you have further questions.<BR>Regards,<BR>Art<BR><BR>