2 weeks in Abruzzo - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yippee, we're fulfilling a long time dream and will be taking an extended trip to Italy in October/November. Among our travels we have allotted 2 weeks in Abruzzo - we have family in Giulianova, on the coast, and will probably rent an apartment there while taking day trips through Abruzzo, maybe Le Marche, maybe San Marino, wherever we can drive to and back in a day. (My husband loves to drive, so I'd say that up to 2 hours each way is OK). Our next stop after Giulianova will be Orvieto, so we'll hit the Umbria/Tuscany/Lazio day trips from that home base.

We've been to Giulianova several times, and it's lovely, but we really want to explore some other sights/towns, as well as the Gran Sasso park area. Any suggestions for towns or sights that you think are special? Is San Marino worth a day trip? Any particular restaurants or wines that you'd recommend?

Just as an aside, I find it interesting that most travel books don't cover Abruzzo; even my most recent Fodor's guide seems like it has a chapter on every region/state, except Abruzzo!

Just fyi, we are early 60's (& have purposefully planned this trip while we still have the hips/knees to handle the cobblestones!). We really enjoy history, seeing the sights, great food/wine, as well as just sitting in the piazza enjoying the "dolce far niente."
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Hah! Looks like no one has been to Abruzzo? Again, we'll be there 2 weeks in October, still looking for attractions, restaurants, etc.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:16 PM

Maria_G I feel your pain. I am planning a trip to Abruzzo next year and info is scarce. I did pick up a book "Abruzzo" by Luciano Di Gregorio (Bradt) on Amazon. It has the most info on Abruzzo that I have been able to find in one place.

In Guardia al Vomano there is a small church there (San Clemente in Guardia al Vomano. It has a ciborium (altar canopy) that is notable. It is one of several pieces of church furniture done by a group of artists (Roberto, Ruggero and Nicodemo) working in the Abruzzi in the 12th century. It is done in stucco; you can see the influences of different styles that were operating in Southern Italy in this time period and previously: Norman, Arabic, Byzantine, Early Christian/Late Classic. (Did a paper on this.)
http://www.sanclementealvomano.it/schede.php?id=7

There are in fact a number of small churches with interesting art throughout Abruzzi that were constructed or decorated in the 12th and 13th centuries, mostly as a result of Benedictine presence in the area.
You can see a map here that links to the specific churches:
http://www.medioevo.org/artemedieval...o/Abruzzo.html
Unfortunately, the text is in Italian.

Good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:34 PM

Maria have you read the other threads about the region, such as these?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ember-2011.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rly-spring.cfm

And this one, that I started before a planned visit that never materialized:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...earby-town.cfm
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Mama_Mia - it's a small world, indeed. Turns out we have been to that church in Guardia al Vomano - that's where my husband's grandmother was from. And I can read Italian, albeit on a basic level, so thanks for the site.

ekscrunchy - thanks for the links, I did check them out, the last one in particular had some good info.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Maria_G
If you are still looking for info on Abruzzo, the following website has a free downloadable guide with the history of the region, useful info (where to get bus timetables), sections on particular towns, and general travel stuff (lodging and food).

http://www.atour.it/

You can also purchase the guide as a book. The site can be viewed in English.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM

Abruzzo is wonderful and there are a lot of lovely places and interesting things to see! The region is incredibly rich in culture and nature and so underestimated by most travel guides, books and websites. But have a look here: www.visitabruzzo.co.uk . This is the official English language website and it provides useful information to anyone visiting the area. You can find quite a lot of information on places to visit and things to do - National Parks, medieval hill towns, churches, seaside, activities, culture, art, traditions, nature, easy hikes and walks, curiosities, wildlife, tips for trips... Anything really.

There is also an online community where you can interact with the other users (many of them live in Abruzzo). If you don't find the specific information you are looking for, join and ask there! It is also a good idea to ask if you need any tips - these people know Abruzzo well and are usually very helpful! There will most likely be someone knowing the answers to your questions.

I hope this helps! Have a great trip!
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM

My grandfather was from Guilianova!! Bernardo (originally Di Bernardo). I have been to Italy but never Abruzzo.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:09 PM

Mamma_Mia and Maria_G:
Have either of you fulfilled your Abruzzo dream trip yet? My husband and I perform a custom private touring service for the Abruzzo region, and we'd love to talk with either of you if you have not yet taken your trip, or might be excited about returning. Please visit us at www.abruzzopresto.com. We will take you so deep into the Abruzzo region that you will be mesmerized at the authenticity of the Italian culture you'll find there. Please let me know if you want more information. [email protected]. A presto! Nancy
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:14 PM

misspell on the email address - sorry. It's [email protected].