Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car rental France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-france-862752/)

EileenMquilt Oct 11th, 2010 10:59 PM

Car rental France

If I hire a car in St.Pierre des Corps can I return it to Auxerre ? If I do this does it incur a penalty fee ?

Michael Oct 11th, 2010 11:05 PM

If you go through Autoeurope or Kemwel, you specify where you want to pick up the car and where you want to return it before you get a price for the rental. If there is a fee for a one way rental, it's included in the basic rental agreement. So we general act as if there is no extra fee. You could play around on the Autoeurope or Kemwel site and see if there is a difference between returning the car at the original location or returning it elsewhere.

kerouac Oct 11th, 2010 11:08 PM

When I go through AutoEurope, I have been able to make one way domestic rentals with no extra fee. Certain rare categories of car might have a fee, though.

Viajero2 Oct 12th, 2010 03:20 AM

You should be posing this question to the car rental agencies (If I say yes based on an experience 5 years ago, are you going to invoke my opinion to get out of paying a penalty?) :-(

I used Auto Europe for 25 years until they "burned" me twice (got vindicated/refunded but had to go thru the Better Business Bureau process). From then on I have used HERTZ and very satisfied so far.

Underhill Oct 12th, 2010 02:50 PM

We've had no extra charges when booking with autoeurope, kemwel, and sixt. However, I've been reading a post on the tripadvisor.com web site from an American who rented through autoeurope by way of its Ireland site--and wound up being charged for a one-way rental. So it really pays to read the fine print and check around.

Gretchen Oct 12th, 2010 03:03 PM

There is NO way to know unless you ask the car rental company. They will tell you and most especially IF you ask.

Michael Oct 12th, 2010 04:27 PM

When I rented a car in Norway, Kemwel was cheaper than Autoeurope, but I would have had to pay a one way fee that would have made the rental more expensive.

plastic_paddy Oct 13th, 2010 02:03 AM

With brokers like Auto Europe, Kemwel and Holiday Autos, if there is a one way fee it will be advised within the terms or important info (as well as location and license fees).

If it is not mentioned and you get charged one by the supplier, then the broker will always refund you.

But you must check the terms (Irish site, UK site etc may be different to the US site or Canadian site)

Cheers
PP

kerouac Oct 13th, 2010 09:12 AM

When I make a one way reservation through AutoEurope, I do not receive instant confirmation like for other rentals. I get a message saying "you will receive confirmation shortly and be told if there are any drop-off fees involved." I usually receive confirmation in less than one hour with the news that there is no additional fee.

Christina Oct 29th, 2010 10:13 AM

Just get a quote from the company instead of asking others, and compare rates to see. The bottom line of what you will pay is all that matters, anyway.