car rental for rome/pompeii/amalfi coast

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM
bug
Original Poster

car rental for rome/pompeii/amalfi coast

We are going to italy the last 10 days of May. We fly into rome, stay there 5 days, then spend the next 4 days in positano. Would like to visit pompeii, capri and the amalfi coast towns

we are undecided about renting a car. can anyone comment on how bad traffic will be in late may, as well as how hard it will be tofind parking? and how expensive parking will be? it sounds like later in the season all the above are awful, but i'm hoping in may it will be better???

thanks for any guidance
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM
bug
Original Poster

also, we return to rome for our flight home.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM
ira

Hi bug,

I think a car is more of a hindrnace than a help on the AC.

You can't get to Capri in a car.

I don't think you will easily find parking at Pompeii.

> we return to rome for our flight home.<

That means 3 days in Positano, unless you have already factored in that you will return to Rome the day before your flight.

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I agree with Ira. Traffic can be very bad once the season starts ( yup, in May!) and parking can be almost impossible to find. Besides, from Positano, you can pretty easily boat between your destinations ( Amalfi and Capri).

One thought if you have the $$$ and want to maximize your time, you could hire a private driver and stop at Pompeii on your way back to Rome ( assuming that you're spending the night before your flight home in Rome).

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I would think May would be a lot better traffic wise than in June, July, August....when schools are out. From what we saw of Pompeii there seemed to be parking around the town, train station, and/or close to the ruins.(that was March!)You could email the tourist offices in each town, OR place a phone call to the Italian Tourist offices in the U.S.! Some people really don't feel comfortable driving the Amalfi Coast, as it can be "trecherous" and full of buses rounding corners....others do fine. It's an individual thing! Going to Capri requires a boat ride, either from Amalafi Coast OR from Sorrento (lovely city and a beautiful drive getting to it).
There IS however a wonderful aspect of FREEDOM having your own car. Positano is beautiful, but has VERY steep streets and driving in the town and parking is probably very tight! Some research on the internet might shed some light on this.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM

We did this in late May and it was fine. We loved the freedom of having a car.

However, our hotel had a parking lot - so no problem where to put it at night.

Had no problem finding parking in Pompeii, Amalfi, Positano etc - but we're from NYC - so think nothing of driving around for 15/20 minutes looking for a spot - or parking in a spot barely bigger than the car. I don;t think we ever looked for more than 5 minutes for a spot. (There is definitey no mall type parking - you need to be a good parallel parker and patient in finding a spot).
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:08 AM
ira

topping