Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car rental at Orly (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-at-orly-1124638/)

Coquelicot Aug 14th, 2016 07:57 AM

Car rental at Orly

This will be our first time renting a car at Orly. Returning a car at the end of our trip, anywhere, is always trickier than I'd like. What should I know about Hertz at Orly? Is the return area easy to find? Are there usually people around we can return the car to? Is the lot within easy walking distance of the terminal? If not, is there a shuttle? Anything else we should know in advance? How much time should we allow for the return process?

I'll appreciate any advice.

Sarastro Aug 14th, 2016 08:14 AM

<i> Is the return area easy to find?</i>

The rental return signs give directions in both French and English.

<i> Are there usually people around we can return the car to? </i>

Generally not. You leave the car in the designated parking location and drop off the keys, along with the return portion of your contract, in the nearby deposit box.

<i>Is the lot within easy walking distance of the terminal?</i>

Usually yes but I cannot say specifically about Hertz.

<i>Anything else we should know in advance?</i>

Yes, read and be very familiar with your rental contract. Make sure that you have a copy of a ¨constat¨ in the glove box and a pencil/pen available in the event that you need it.

Cathinjoetown Aug 14th, 2016 08:38 AM

Whether or not someone is there to check in your car, take time-stamped photos of the return condition of the car (do this when you pick it up as well). IME, rentals in France are slightly more likely to have visible dings when you pick up the car so you'll want those documented by the agent and yourself.

kerouac Aug 14th, 2016 08:39 AM

I never had any problem picking up or returning a car at Orly. I recall the rental lots being at Orly Ouest rather than Orly Sud, but they might have them in both places. No matter what, this will be easier than the numerous different locations at CDG (which are fine for us regulars but I can imagine the confusion of first timers). Just follow the signs ("voitures de location - rental cars").

There is a very fast rail shuttle between the terminals.

Underhill Aug 14th, 2016 09:11 AM

Our only problem with returning a car at Orly was missing the exit for the rental agency and having to go around a second time.

Coquelicot Aug 14th, 2016 10:05 AM

Thanks, everyone. When we pick up the car, I plan to ask the rental agents for specific return instructions, but I like to get as much info as possible in advance.

I'm looking forward to a less hectic experience than at CDG but we'll allow plenty of time.

Underhill, that won't be a new experience for us. We've missed the turn at CDG Terminal 2 every time. Coming from the north, as we always did, you almost have to miss your first chance since the ramp comes up on your left immediately after you've merged in on the right. It takes us one loop to work our way to the left through all the lanes of traffic.