Car rental at main land across Venice

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 04:48 AM
olgap

Car rental at main land across Venice

Hi, we need advice where to rent a car across from Venice, somewhere on the Main Land.

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 08:39 AM
Maggie

Your question is a little unclear but i know you can pick up rental cars from most of the major rental companies at either the Venice train station or the Venice airport. I would call the various companies. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 10:57 AM
elaine

I was thinking along the same lines as Maggie. There are rental car desks at the Venice airport and at the train station, I believe. If by "mainland" you mean Mestre, I'm sure there are car rentals available in Mestre but can't say definitively where. If you call some of the car rental companies, ask about office locations. If they tell you they have an office in "Venice" confirm as to where that office is. If you want the "mainland" I believe you'll want a rental location in Mestre.

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 10:57 AM
elaine

I was thinking along the same lines as Maggie. There are rental car desks at the Venice airport and at the train station, I believe. If by "mainland" you mean Mestre, I'm sure there are car rentals available in Mestre but can't say definitively where. If you call some of the car rental companies, ask about office locations. If they tell you they have an office in "Venice" confirm as to where that office is. If you want the "mainland" I believe you'll want a rental location in Mestre.

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 11:01 AM
elaine

I was thinking along the same lines as Maggie. There are rental car desks at the Venice airport and at the train station, I believe. If by "mainland" you mean Mestre, I'm sure there are car rentals available in Mestre but can't say definitively where. If the car rental companies, ask about office locations. If they tell you they have an office in "Venice" confirm as to where that office is. If you want the "mainland" I believe you'll want a rental location in Mestre. The major car rental companies in Italy are Avis
800 331 2112; Budget 800 472 3325;
Hertz 800 654 3001. There's another one called Kemwel 800 678 0678.
For airport car pickups, an additional 10% tax is imposed, so you'd save that if you pick it up in a town or city.
There is a mandatory government tax as well on car rentals which is about 19%, so make sure you know if that is included in the rate they quote you.
good luck

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 06:18 PM
Rod Hoots

I rented a car a couple of years ago from Kemwel for a trip from Venice to Brussels. The rental was arranged in the U.S. and I picked up the car at Marco Polo airport in Venice after a vacation there. When I had arrived at the airport a few days earlier I checked with the Kemwel agent to be sure everything was OK. The pick up went smoothly and the price was right. There is some good advice above about being sure you know what all the charges are. You can also pick up rental cars at the Piazzala Roma in Venice - it's not the train station but the location where busses come in from the mainland and where the auto parking garages are. There is a ferry boat stop there. If you do it that way, I suggest calling in advance to be sure they know when you're coming. Unless you're staying in Mestre, on the mainland, I don't see any reason to rent there. I have seen recent postings in this forum that collision and damage insurance is now mandatory in Italy - a good thing to check in advance.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 06:39 AM
Paul

Don't pick up a car at airports in Italy - there's a 12% surcharge!! In Venice, the major car rentals are in Piazzale Roma, where the parking garage and bus stops are. I picked mine up last year there through Auto Europe. Only problem was actually locating the office (it's on the side of one of the main buildings). I asked, and was shown just where it was.