Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental agencies near Chania & Santorini airports?

Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

We are flying into both, Chania, Crete and Santorini and want to get a rental car right away. I wonít assume it is like here in the states. Are there local rental agencies within walking distance of airport arrival areas?
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:46 AM

Still haven't found a rental car? I remember you inquiring in an earlier posting.

Santorini Airport, JTR, is very small. Truthfully, I don't remember for sure whether or not there's actually any rental agency there, but I don't think there is. I do know that many agencies on the island will bring a car to the airport for you if it's arranged beforehand. But there is also probably some sort of tourist assistance kiosk there to help you find one.

Here are some that advertise delivery to the airport:

http://www.santonet.gr/rentals/eurodollar/

http://www.santonet.gr/rentals/tonys/

http://www.santonet.gr/rentals/ada/

http://www.greece.affordablecarrental-europe.com/

Out of curiosity I plugged in a date in May to pickup and one to return a car to JTR using www.orbitz.com and got a pretty fair quote of $181 for a week-taxes, etc. included:

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewCarResults?z=9a46&r=17

I remind you that if you are willing to get to your hotel by taxi, or at least go into Fira, you will be able to get a better rate from one of the smaller local rental agencies by walking in and doing a little low-key polite bargaining. Have some quoted rates handy and they'll probably beat them.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I gave up trying a while back, but thought Iíd try again. Our Aegean flights (all 6 of them that I booked way early last year at top $$$) were just canceled/changed etc. So, if I had arranged car pick-ups, Iíd be having to change them all. We were originally arriving into Santorini in the early evening so I was planning on taking a taxi to Oia. Now we arrive in the morning, so I want to get a car right away. By the way, still no reply from Thea Studios in Oia. Luckily, I have researched back-ups so I will wait until April. We also arrive into Crete in the morning and our first night is booked in Rethymno so I want a car right away there too. I emailed a local car rental placeand they never responded. Thanks for all those URLs. Iíll get on looking today.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:50 AM

I know I sound like a broken record, but since you're arriving in the morning you could easily take the taxi into Fira, and within 100 yards of the taxi stand (next to the main square) are several rental agencies. In May there will be hordes of rental cars just sitting around unused and unreserved. I promise not to say anything more
Mar 24th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Don't you ďpromise not to say anything moreĒ. I love all your advice. But, wouldn't the cost of a cab to Fira and then the rental for that day to get to Oia be more than renting it from a place that will deliver to the airport? Thanks to your URLs, I got a response from Eurodollor and they quoted me 34Euros per day with drop off & delivery and Orbitz had some even cheaper. I haven't checked into all the URLs but I will this weekend. I had forgotten about an IDP so we need to take care of that soon. We are less than 1 month away!!!
Mar 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM

The taxi into Fira costs 10 Euro. I've been offered a small car for as little as 17 Euro/day for a 7-day commitment. It really depends on the agency. Once you're there you'll see just how many unused rental cars there are on the island. It's a highly competitive business there. Granted you will have to spend some time looking for a bargain, but they're out there to be found if you're so inclined. The rental agents will all speak English, just so you know.

Also, the taxi to Oia costs 25 euro, probably the same as the average daily rental cost. I'm thinking you probably won't need your car that first day anyway since you'll be busy settling in and having your first look around Oia.

There are several local rental agencies in Oia as well. I'm sure one of them will give you a good price, at least as good as what you've found on the internet, hopefully better. Oia is small, it won't take you long to check them out. Ecorama Holidays at the bus square has some rentals, and along the main road into the village you'll see others. Just keep your eyes peeled as your taxi drives into the village so you'll know where they are.

Sometimes trying to tie up all the loose ends before arriving at your destination can backfire. I truly think reserving a rental car in advance is one of those times.
Mar 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Correction: last year the taxi from the airport to Oia was 20 Euro. Be sure to ask in advance.
Mar 24th, 2006, 09:39 AM

I keep thinking of more info. If you decide to take my advice to use a taxi from the airport one of you should get outside as fast as possible to reserve one since they're in limited supply. Some hotels offer airport pickup for about 25 Euro. This will relieve stress. The added advantage of this is that someone will usually help you carry your bags to your room from the car, and if there are a lot of steps this is a nice bonus.
Mar 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM

My mind is only working in spurts this morning. I just thought of something so obvious I almost overlooked it. Have you asked at your hotel for assistance with a rental car? If not, send them an email and ask for a quote. What do you have to lose?
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Since my last response to you, I thought about doing your exact suggestion, taking a cab to Oia and chilling there for a few days; then getting a local rental later. I know, from a previous post, that there is a reasonably priced local place right down from Thea Studios (if that is where we end up). Itís a great idea to flag one down while the other gets luggage. We are both strong athletic types and are traveling light, so steps will not be a problem. You are very sweet. Santorini is done. Now I can work on Crete. Thanks!!
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Neopolitan

We booked our car in Chania from AutoEurope. I no longer remember which particular agency it was there. We picked it up on arrival at the airport (just like in the States) and we returned it downtown in Iraklion before taking a boat to Santorini. It was very easy.

Mar 24th, 2006, 10:13 AM

As you walk outside from the terminal building you'll see a group of taxis outside with the drivers milling around. All you have to do is approach them and strike up a deal.

I hope you hear from Thea Studios soon (Duh....obviously you can't ask them about cars if they aren't responding to your emails....I need more caffeine!). I just looked at their website again and they look like a great 'find'. The price is excellent and they're in a good location.
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Hi Akin! Just a quick question - are you ok with driving along high cliffs? Do you frequenetly drive on Med islands? Honestly, Brotherleelove2004 has some guts b.c it is not an easy drive to Oia. It is deathfully frightful. I couldn't even look out of the window of the cab/bus - and I am not afraid of heights. The bus lines in Santorini are excellent. And even if you are an excellent driver, be prepared, b.c the Greeks don't have patience for slow/scared drivers. They will run you off the road. Just an FYI just in case you haven't heard of the roads...
If you do drive, keep up!
Santorini is magical...have fun!
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I agree, that road to Oia can be daunting for first-timers, but after awhile it just seems like any other narrow winding road. There are places to turn out if someone wants to pass, just don't get nervous and try to accomodate them where it's unsafe. Honk and drive with caution as you approach blind curves. Really, I know what Jamesandi is referring to, but did you know that there's another road now? When you're driving towards Oia just look down to the sea and you'll see it along the far coastline. If driving the regular road becomes too nervewracking, you can get to the other road easily. As you're heading north toward Oia, and just after you pass by Imerovigli you'll be heading down a steep hill. At the bottom of that hill is a 90' left turn along the normal road. But if you continue straight ahead you'll eventually come to the other road. I've only been on it once. It's unpaved for much of the way but in good condition. and there's not much traffic at all. Just follow it all the way to Oia. The last couple of miles it becomes a cement road. It will enter the village very close to the bus square. So you have an option if the regular road makes you too nervous or if you just want to see something different.
Mar 25th, 2006, 12:43 AM

Chania airport is in the country about 6 miles out of the town. There are rental agencies located in the airport. There are milling renters outside. You can book in advance; or you can get something when you arrive; or you can get a taxi into the town and pick one up at any one of the plethora of agencies within a block of the harbour. Or get your hotel to organise one for you. I've never been there in high season, but have been in April, May, September and October, and you would not have had a problem at any of those times.

Mar 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Brotherleelove, we're an adult family of 5 couples and have booked 2 rental cars in Santorini for the day in May and are to pick them up where the cruise ship docks, no one can tell me where the Budget Rental Car Agency is; would you happen to know. I cannot find a street map of Santorini anywhere.
Thanks,
SOM
Mar 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Hi Sominex-

I do have a map of sorts for Fira, but it's not showing Budget's office. So I went to the Budget website and plugged in a rental date and specified Santorini. I came up with 2 locations, "Airport" and the one that will pertain to you, "Firostefani-Main Road." Not to worry, Firostefani is nothing more than an extension of Fira.

When you take the cable car up from the wharf below Fira (Please don't ride the poor, abused donkeys) it drops you off near the top of the cliff. Walk outside the cable car building and you should be looking out at the sea. Walk to your left and that pathway should curve to the left again after a short distance, onto a path named 'M. Nomikou,' although I'd be surprised if there was actually a sign. Then you're going to be walking uphill for a short distance before beginning the downhill walk to the Main Road, Martiou Street. If you come to any other pathway intersections along the way don't turn onto them, just continue forward (the path will zig-zag a bit) until you reach a road with auto traffic (Martiou Street, but again-probably no sign). When you get to Martiou Street turn left and walk uphill. It shouldn't be too far as Firostefani is very close, probably 15 minutes max once you reach Martiou. Somewhere along that stretch of street you'll find the Budget office. As a landmark you'll be passing the Alamo/National office on your right before you find the Budget office.

That stretch of Martiou is a 2-way street, so if your whole family doesn't make this walk you'll be able to drive back downhill with the cars to pick them up. Just remember that when driving back down to pick up your family Martiou will become a one-way street as it comes to the main square about 50 yards downhill from where you first came out onto Martiou from the path to the Cable Car. So if you do continue downhill past that original point of entry you'll have to continue down to the main square turning left just before it (an obvious downhill left turn), then continue downhill some more (stay to the right) until the road curves to the right. Go one more block to the first real street to the right, an uphill right turn which will take you right past the bus square. After the bus square turn right again and you'll be on your way back to Martiou Street (again stay to the right), and you'll be passing in front of the main square as you do so. Effectively, you've just made a loop around the main square. Continue uphill towards Firostefani to where you began. The main road will then take you past Firostefani and Imerovigli for the 8 mile drive to Oia.

I hope this isn't too confusing, I tried to simplify it as much as possible. Obviously it would be best if everyone was able to walk as a group up Martiou to the Budget Office. If any of this is unclear be sure to let me know and I'll try to be more specific. Also, if you want me to scan the pertinent parts of my map and send them to your email address I can do that too. Just understand that this is one of those hand-drawn cartoon-style maps so it's not 100% accurate. It's pretty clear, though. It's a free tourist map, so you might actually be able to pick one up in the Cable Car building.

Mar 26th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Many thanks brother, yes I would like the map, my email is [email protected]....I even tried emailing the Greek Gov. (about 2 wks. ago) so far no reply. At least this will give us some idea as to where it is...
We are also renting a car in Rhodes, do you happen to know where Budget is on that Island?....Also, we wouldn't think of riding those poor animals up...
Thanks again,
SOM
Mar 26th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Sominex, I've never been to Rhodes, but I did find this on the Budget website for you:

(Budget)
1 AKTI MIAOULI
GRAND HOTEL
RHODES 85101 GR

http://www.rhodos-travel.com/grandhotel-rhodes.htm

You can probably get a taxi to take you there.

I'll get that map detail off to you ASAP.

Lee
Mar 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM

Hello,
Many years now I am visiting Santorini and more specifically Kamari. It is a seaside village. I know a business that rents cars, motos and quads. I have been services many times by this company.
The web site is:
www.bazias.com
If you want more information about Kamari you can visit this web site:
www.santorini-kamari.gr

Have fun!
Moschoula

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO