Car Rental Advice - Tuscany

Aug 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Car Rental Advice - Tuscany

I will be traveling through Tuscany and am looking to rent a car. We will be starting our trip in Florence and then driving to Arezzo. I won't be needing the car in Florence, so I would like to pick it up the Sunday we're leaving for Arezzo. I will then be dropping it off near Rome (planning to visit the Tivoli gardens first and then drop it off), since we're staying in Rome at the end of our trip. Any recommendations as to locations for pickup and dropoff? Is it best to just pick rental locations in the airports and take cabs to pick up/after drop off? If so, which airport in Rome? I noticed there were a couple? Is one closer to the city? Please advise. Thanks so much.
roro
Aug 26th, 2004, 10:36 AM

We came out better on a trip a few years ago just renting the car for the full 2 week trip (even not using it in Venice) than trying to rent for a few days. The 2 week plans or even 1 week plans can be less expensive. Be sure to check this out.

You will also need all the insurance in Italy. Theft and vandalism is a problem there. Be sure you just take the insurance and not worry about it. The rental fees will also be more in Italy than some other countries because of this.

The only airport we have used for international is DaVinci. I am not aware of others, but they are probably for internal travel and not international. Just a guess there.

You are smart on not driving in Rome....I tried it one time....never again.
Aug 26th, 2004, 06:40 PM

If you rent through Auto Europe, you will find many options for dropping off in the Rome area. Of course, driving in Rome is daunting, so perhaps you'd rather go to the airport. There was some discussion on the SlowTrav board that the Villa Borghese dropoff area was not hard to get to from the highway, but I've never done it myself.
Aug 26th, 2004, 06:53 PM
rex

I agree that the Borghese sottoterraneo is easy. But ask your hotel. And don't listen to the notion that you can't drive in Rome, at least to the point of getting your luggage to the front door of your hotel.

That's one of the very nice perks you get from traveling TO Rome (any city) by rental car!

Best wishes,

Rex

Search this Thread