Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   car rental (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-191548/)

SF Apr 3rd, 2002 09:34 PM

car rental

A quick question regarding car rentals in Ireland. I have reserved an automatic but am not sure of what size to reserve. There are 2 adults, not much luggage but have heard an economy car is very small and it feels safer to rent a compact. Any suggestions?<BR>S.

Margie Apr 4th, 2002 03:47 AM

Anybody?

kdr Apr 4th, 2002 04:04 AM

I've seen conflicting advice on this board, but my advice is to go with a smaller car. My husband and I had a Cleo 5-door economy model when we were in Ireland a month ago, and it was just perfect for us. We fit nicely, as did our luggage. And, we felt much better driving around on the sometimes scary roads in a smaller car--easier to squeeze through tight situations. <BR> The other argument is that you spend a lot of time in the car, and shoud thus have a big comfortable car. Personal preference, I guess, but we were plenty comfortable in the small car.

v thomp Apr 4th, 2002 05:12 AM

My friend and I took a golf vacation to SW Ireland in June, 2001. We rented a class F-2 four door auto with an automatic transmission. It is about the size of a Pontiac Grand Am. It was very good for getting around the countryside.

ptmy Apr 4th, 2002 05:19 AM

My husband and I always rent a compact car for 2 reasons. The economy or subcompact cars don't always have passenger side airbags and the suitcases are not always "hideable". Both are important so us.There is usually not that much difference in price.

carolyn Apr 4th, 2002 07:07 AM

The first time we were there we had a car about the size of a Corolla. It seemed a bit big compared to other cars on the road, but we got around fine, only once having to pull in the side mirror to get by.<BR><BR>The next time we had a smaller car, around the size of a Golf. It was more in line with the average car on the road; great for driving twisty, small back roads.

jenomad Apr 4th, 2002 10:43 AM

A size compact is best for a family.<BR>Rent with Hertz, Avis or Easycar.<BR>

Bill Apr 4th, 2002 12:08 PM

We drove a Nissan Micra in Ireland and it was perfect. Plenty of room for two and very nice to have when you drive over Connor Pass.<BR><BR>Bill

jfx Apr 4th, 2002 02:32 PM

We, 4 of us, just got back from a 7 day excursion in Ireland. We rented a medium size Toyota and drove over 1000 miles and I felt that our car was a little big, at times, for the roads. For two people, I would rent a smaller automatic car because of the narrow roads. At some places, (Dingle, the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, as examples), the roads were very narrow with stone fences at the road edges. If you are not used to this type of driving, on the left side of the road from the right side of the car, your judgement will be affected and a wider "mid" size car will intimidate you. Also, many of the small towns are very constricted. Two people will fit nicely, in my judgement, in a "smaller" car. Whatever you rent, purchase the insurance to take your deductible to $100 euros. Drivers not used to the left side on narrow roads will probably have an incident and the rental agencies hold you responsible for "any" damage, even if it was not your fault.

Julia Apr 4th, 2002 05:35 PM

What kind of rate did you get? We were quoted $741, 10 days, including tax and insurance, dropping off and picking up in different citis - Ford Focus automatic.

xxx Apr 5th, 2002 03:59 AM

Julia, that seems kinda steep, but then they do really soak ya to get an automatic. We just got back from IRL, rented an Opel Zafira (minivan) manual trans for $283 for 9 days.

Julia Apr 5th, 2002 04:33 AM

XXX - what company did you rent through?

xxx Apr 5th, 2002 07:10 AM

www.irishcarrentals.com

Bill Apr 5th, 2002 01:47 PM

If you have a gold or platinum Master Card, decline the CDW and use their insurance. There is no deductible and it is free. That will save you bunches of money.<BR><BR>Bill

island girl Apr 7th, 2002 12:17 PM

We upgraded to a nissan altima (I think).<BR>It was an automatic. It wasn't the greatest car in the world, but it was plenty big enough for the 2 of us and our luggage and kept luggage out of sight. (I'd never do a wagon for that reason!) Though we don't mind a stick shift, the automatic is nice with the roads, and definitely a smaller car to take the narrow roads and hedge rows/rock walls. We were pleased with Dan Dooley Rentals that was part of our package.

Jim Apr 8th, 2002 08:03 AM

We rented a four door, I think it was a Ford or Opal, automatic. As an American, I was looking for a decent-sized sedan. But the roads are very narrow and people drive like lunatics. Get as small a car as you're comfortable in.

pat Apr 10th, 2002 11:20 PM

The Irish didn't drive like lunatics. I thought they were a big improvement on drivers in Arizona. We were the ones trying to do strange things, either being lost or gawking at one thing or another.<BR>As to rental cars, they will all be smaller than you are probably used to and would mostly be classified as subcompacts here. But the designs are very space efficient. We had 2 adults and a 10-year-old in a 2-door Renault and I'm very tall (6' 4"). And the car was fine. Any bigger and the tight spots on the roads would have been worse. Everyone else is driving the same size car anyhow.