car or train? Honest opinions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from Leeds to Edinburgh. It looks like the prices might be comparable for renting a car ot traveling by train. What is your honest opinion?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Depends what you want to do when you get there. If you're just staying in the city, train is best. If you want to tour around, explore a little, get a car.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM
vcl

Have you driven in the UK before? Are you comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road? Is there something you really want to see on the road from Leeds to Edinburgh?
If you can't answer an enthusiastic "yes" to at least one -- and better yet all three -- of these questions, then go for the train. You're more likely to arrive rested and ready for sightseeing. If you want to explore the countryside around Edinburgh, rent a car there.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM

There's a remarkable amount of lovely stuff - much of it rarely visited by foreigners - between Leeds and Edinburgh: the North York Moors, Durham and the Northumbria coast, the whole area of Hadrian's Wall and the perpetually squabbled-over Border country, especially the hilly countryside south of Edinburgh. And that's assuming you drive up the eastern side of the Pennines.

Of that, only one thing is really remotely visible from the train: the wonderful view of Durham Cathedral from your seat for a couple of seconds. Otherwise the train journey is OK, efficient, faster than the drive for most people - and dull.

OTOH, you'll struggle to fit very much of the nice stuff into an afternoon's drive: on a recent trip, we managed just one stopoff (at Wallsend, which is a significant detour from the straight route) in a 2 pm to 8 pm session.

Unless you're very short of time, I'd recommend you allocate at least a full day to the drive and preplan it well - bearing in mind that getting in and out of British cities (and finding anywhere to park) soaks up an awful lot of time. If you are short of time, get the train

And do ignore the moaning minnies who make such a fuss about driving on a different side ofthe road from the one they're used to.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:48 PM

Couldn't agree more with Flanner - take the car every time.
You will be driving right past Holy Island (Lindisfarne) accessible by road at certain times (cut off by the tide at others, tide table posted at the start of the causeway). This is a wonderful atmospheric place, merely glimpsed as you flash past on the train. www.lindisfarne.org.uk gives details.
M
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM

"Moaning minnies" - well said, flanner. I have to say it - after haunting this site for some time I've had to conclude that Fodorites are, on balance, the most frightened travellers on Earth. Just count the number of times the word "safe" appears, and all the nervous souls worried about bugs and spicy food in warm climates - not to mention the minor challenge of driving on the "wrong" side of the road. We leftsiders cope with this challenge almost every time we go overseas.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:41 AM
vcl

I've visited the United Kingdom so often in the last 30 years, I can no longer donate blood. I have rented a car only once. That was 20 years ago and the highlight of that trip was turning in the car and hopping in a cab. I found driving on the opposite side of the road disconcerting.

I'd much rather miss a couple of quaint little villages than run down a pack of school children or smash into someone's grandfather because my instinct in an emergency is to turn the wheel in the wrong direction.

I don't say the people in the UK drive on the wrong side of the road; it's just the wrong side for me.

You call me a moaning minnie; I say I'm
a respectful visitor who wants to do the citizens of the United Kingdom and Ireland ho harm.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Whether you like driving on the "wrong" side of the road or not, why not just relax on the train? You will have good views of the east coast, as well as Durham and Newcastle, and you can have a snooze, drink or read a guide book or a newspaper. The train takes you right to the centre of Edinburgh where a car would be just be a nuisance.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Moaning Minnie or brave adventurer -- the decision should be based on how long you have for the trip. If a day or less then the train makes by far the most sense.

But if you can take an overnight - or even 2, then drive. There is more than enough to see between Leeds and Edinburgh to fill two weeks, let alone 2 days.

You didn't give us enough info to get the best advice. Is Edinburgh your final destination? How long do you want to spend getting from one to the other?