Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London hotels: De Vere Cavendish or Strand Palace?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am familiar w/both areas, more interested in what ppl think of the hotels themselves - rooms, quietness, staff, etc. ASAP, please!! Thanks so much.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Being a Londoner I haven't stayed at either hotel but I would think without a doubt the Cavendish would be the better choice. The Strand Palace is a three star hotel popular with tour groups - the quality of the rooms seems to vary enourmously - it gets very mixed reviews - it looks like it could do with a refurb. The Cavendish is a good quality four star hotel and seems to constantly get good reviews.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I agree with the above, but would like to ask for some further information:

If you have budget, then please advise so that alternatives can be offered, furthermore, you may wish to use priceline to pick up a bargain.

If it is a simply a choice between the two you've listed of course the de vere is superior to the other one.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:34 AM
cw

We stayed at the Cavendish for four nights in November. We booked through BA holidays and got a good rate. We arrived late on a Friday night, about 10:00 pm and were given a room that was meant to be a single. When I asked for another room, I was told nothing else was available, that the hotel was fully booked but that they could move us on Sunday. They said that we had the room that BA had booked for us.

The next day, Saturday, after getting back from touring around, we had a call saying that another room was available. So we moved to the larger room, a real double, for the next three nights.

The room was perfectly adequate in size, clean, modern, uncluttered. It had a large desk, minibar, TV, internet access, two chairs. We were on the 12th floor with a view looking west towards Green Park. The bathroom was well put together. We heard no noise, either from inside or from the outside.

The staff was very nice and cordial. They all wear white T-shirts and beige pants, so you may at first not realize they are staff. Breakfast buffet (included) had a large selection of cheese, meat, pastries, cereal etc. Service was friendly.

There is a lobby bar and computers for internet access.

The location is unbelievable. Right across the street from Fortnum and Mason, around the corner from Hatchard's book store, and halfway between the Picadilly and Green Park stops. We walked everywhere. Jermyn Street, though very central, is quiet, especially at night.

Last year we stayed at the Chesterfield, but got a much better rate at the Cavendish. Loved the location and would definitely stay there again.

CW
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:39 AM

JHM, We stayed at the De Vere Cavendish St. James for one week last summer and found it to be a terrific hotel. Guests seem to be mostly suits during the week and tourists on the weekend which made breakfast only a problem on the weekend when the tour group came to eat!!! Loved the modern decor and even our standard double room had enough space to meet our needs. It was extremely quiet, the personnel we interacted with were both helpful and pleasant. We look forward to a return visit. I know the hotel has received many positive evaluations on TripAdvisor. Deborah