Reload this Page >

Instead of the chunnel....?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 11:19 AM
Raeona

We are interested in taking the train/ferry/train between London-Paris. THis seems to be a difficult thing to get hard and fast information about on the net. Can anyone help...with links or personal experiences? Thanks.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 01:29 PM
Arizona

Use your browser; either Eurail or Britrail. I know both have web sites. The classic way is from Waterloo Station, to Dover, cross to Calais by ferry, and on by rail to Gare du Nord, Paris. Have not taken the Chunnel, but perhaps others can help.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 01:34 PM
Susan

The chunnel train is wonderful. Easy, comfortable, great service. Frequent departures -- every hour or two. And since you start/finish in the center of the city, you don't waste time/money/energy going to the airports. You need reservations but these can even be gotten at departure -- if it's not a busy time.

I recently took the chunnel train for the 1st time, altho had frequently travelled between Paris/London by other methods including air, and the chunnel beats everything hands down.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 06:19 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Hi! Personally I cannot imagine why anyone would ask these days. I've crossed the English Channel in every conceivable mode (except rowing myself). The Eurostar train through the Chunnel is so incredibly convenient and comfortable that I would NEVER consider any other means of travel. (I've even crossed by Hovercraft--an all-day, TIRING trip that I would never recommend.) Go on the Eurostar and count your blessings that you CAN. Bon voyage, Joan

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 10:36 AM
Christina

Well, what kind of hard info do you want? I found
a few sites within a minute simply searching
for England and ferry. They seem to give schedules
and prices:
www.seafrance.co
www.poef.co
www.hoverspeed.co.uk

Personally, I agree with Joan. I would take the
train even though a bit more expensive because my
time is more valuable than the price difference--
especially when I've spent a lot of money to take
a European vacation, I'm not going to waste an
entire day of it on the train/ferry (this pretty
much takes all day--leave London early am and get
into Gare du Nord about 4-5 pm). The hoverspeed
is preferable to the ferry though, takes less time.