Car hire in venice

Search

Car hire in venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car hire in venice

I need to hire a car from Venice (to drive to Innsbruck) and want to do in the least stressful way. There is a Europcar at Piazzle Roma within Venice, reasonably close to the bridge/main road (SS11) that takes you to the mainland. But looking at the spot from above - using google aerial maps - it looks like it might be a nightmare to get to, and cause one huge amount of stress for our travelling party, two adults and three children at the end of August.
My questions to the forum are these: Any one done this? What would be the easiest, simplest way to get there? Could a water taxi/water bus take you pretty much "up to the door" so to speak?
Or, would I better be off returning to the airport and picking up a car from one of the car rental outfits there? Anyone know where the car hire places are in the airport? Are they a long walk from the water taxi drop-off point?
I am staying on Giudecca island so will be attemting this journey from there.
I'd be really grateful for any insights, advice etc.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Just thought that I need to add that train is not an option as we are stopping off for a few days in the mountains before we drop the car off at Innsbruck airport
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a vap http://www.venice.nu/maps/vaporetto-map/
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 02:58 AM

Why would you consider getting to Piazzale Roma a "nightmare" compared to getting anywhere else?

I understand that the trip is a bit long-ish from Giudecca, but IMHO, it's hardly a nightmare. And why would you think it's better to go to the airport, which is a longer trip?

Take the vaporetto. Or if you have euros to spend, have your hotel book a water taxi.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bilboburger and Vincenzo for the replies.
Vincenzo - I am reassured that you think that my using the word "nightmare" is overstressing things! That suggests that getting from one place to another in Venice is not as complicated as I had thought. It is always difficult to guage when you do not know a place, especially a place where travel takes place on both water and land! (I considered the airport by dint of the fact that there would more boats heading up that way??!) But it seems like the Vap system is pretty extensive - thanks for that Biloburger - and will get me most places pretty easily.
So am I understand that getting to the Europcar at Piazzle Roma should present few problems then?
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 03:28 AM

Correct. P. Roma is something of a hub for in-town/public transportation because the car rental places and the train station are in that area. Take the vaporetto (water bus), or splurge on a (water) taxi.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

capxx - Great! Thank you, knowing that is helpful.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 03:47 AM

We have not rented at Pza Roma but have left a car parked there a couple of times.

There is no reason for it to be a nightmare - but with 5 people and luggage I would not do the vaporetto - but take a water taxi instead. Once you get off the taxi there can get a man with a cart to haul all your luggage to either the parking garage or the car rental office.

From there the causeway goes straight to the mainland and connects to the highway.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler, again, really helpful, thank you.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
walking in Venice is tricky, they decided against house numbers and have only introduced them recently and in their own manner, the streets (streets!) are what we in Yorkshire call "ginnels" so very narrow, except on main walkways in which case only narrow. Heaven help you if you meet a mass of micky mouse eared tourists.

For walking you do need a map and expect to get lost a couple of times.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you bilboburger - Good to know! I will certaily invest in a good map then. I love the word ginnel!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:31 AM

I would focus on two other factors---the car model suitable for 5 people and the drop charge in Innsbruck.
I suggest a full size station wagon or a van for 5 with luggage.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 06:25 AM

There are a couple of vaporetti that go from Giudecca to P. Roma, including the 42, which, depending on where on Giudecca you are leaving from can take as little as 10 min (and one intermediate stop) or as mcuh as 19 min (4 intermediate stops).

Your luggage might be the main factor in deciding whether to take a vaporetto or taxi...plus whether or not you are using a transport card (unlimited rides for 48 or 72 hrs) or individual vaporetto tickets (7 Euros each), which might make the taxi worth it -- only be 20-30 (not sure of this) Euros more than five single vaporetto rides.

SS
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Based on our experiences, where we had 4 adults and 2 kids (11 and 13), there is no way I'd want to try to get on and off a vaporetto with that much luggage. I would absolutely go for the water taxi. With the water taxi, the driver handles all of your luggage getting on and off. There is no rushing and you always have a place to sit. It's only you. They come to exactly where you need to be picked up and take you exactly where you need to be dropped off.

The convenience factor just may outweigh the additional cost in this case.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, thank you so much.
However, I now appear to have a bigger problem. I had not envisaged the exorbitantly high one way charge to drop a car off in a different country. It was a real shock. I have tried several different rental companies.
I now need to find another way to get from Venice to San Cassiano in the Dolomites(for three nights) and then finally to Innsbruck airport. I suspect I shall be posting a new topic soon.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 08:58 AM

Drop the car in Bolzano after the Dolomites and train to Innsbruck.