Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car hire - Germany for a week this summer.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading all the threads and it's very confusing. Affordable car rental is 189 E for a compact manual, but I would have to pick it up at the Frankfort airport. Not appealing to have to go out to the airport when we would already be in the city. Sixti has a deal for 207 E, but it has a 2000 km limit and then they start charging for extra Kms. Argus Car hire. com does not sound bad, but I've never heard of them. Anyone know if they are reliable and if so, have you used them? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am having trouble getting it all straight. I would like an automatic, since my husband who will be doing the majority of the driving; he drives a manual at home and would prefer the luxury of an automatic on vacation. Thanks for any suggestions and help offered. It's even more complicated than buying airline tickets, since with airline tickets, I know it is always economy class and there are not so many choices to compare!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM

For a short period, and where you are able to return the car to the point of delivery, you can often rent a car from a garage/gas station or car dealer. But you still have to insist on comprehensive cover and pay accordingly.

189E for a week doesn't sound like a bad deal.

You are unlikely to exceed 2000km in a week - things in Germany are not so far apart as might appear on the map, and doing even 200km a day what with sightseeing and meals and so on is at the top end of the usage range.

I don't know Argus Hire. Where are they based?

Harzer
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM

Argus seems to serve Spain, France and Ireland only.

Really, the 189E deal is good - and after all, getting out to the airport is just a ten-minute train ride - and the airport is not a bad place to set out on your travels from.

Harzer
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 03:57 AM

I currently live in Germany and I know a lot of Americans rent cars from Europa Car. I'm not sure if they have one in Frankfurt airport but it might be worth checking out. I think they have automatics as well. You'll pay more for an automatic in most of Europe since they're not the norm here. Almost everyone drives a stickshift. We rented an automatic our first time in Ireland just because we weren't sure how it would be with everything on the other side (it was actually really easy to get used to once we tried the manual).
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Have you tried www.novarentacar.com? Phone 1-866 NOVACAR

We've used them before (most recently 2 years ago in Germany renting in Munich and returning to Frankfurt airport). Service, prices, and cars were excellent every time.

Check the insurance from the various rental sources to be sure you're comparing apples to apples--depending where and what you are renting, Nova includes full insurance with no deductable in the price, or there is a daily add-on to eliminate the deductable. Other rental brokers and companies have varied policies on insurance, so yo do need to read the fine print to get full costs.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. We're going to be using the car mainly to explore the Rhine River/Mosel area. What is the traffic like in the summer? Are the roads very crowded? Is it difficult to find parking? Thanks again. Could we manage with a train or is a car really better?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:05 AM

It's certainly much nicer to do this area by car as there are so many little treasures to be found out and beyond the main centres.

Traffic will be heavier in summer but this shouldn't put you off. Just take it easy, and don't fall into the trap of thinking you HAVE to see X,Y and Z because the guide book says so. There is only one must-see in this region and that is Burg Eltz. Otherwise, if it looks inviting do it.

Harzer
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Harzer.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Try AutoEurope out of Portland Maine. They are great to work with. We have used them 5 times including Germany and never had a problem. They also seem to have multiple locations all over Germany. Just go to AutoEurope.com. If you call them, the people are very helpful. Rates are always better than any other car rentals in my experience, especially the "biggies". As for the Rhine and Mosel, this is my favorite area in Europe. The towns and the people are wonderful. Don't miss Trier and St Goar for the Castle. Berg Eltz is amazing but be careful which way you go, one of the car parks is on top of a mountain and you have to walk. I thought I'd never bet back up the hill.--It is really a small mountain. As we got back to the top after viewing the castle, 3 women were starting their trip down. All had on dressy dresses and heels! I know they never made it back up. The area is full of castles, fantastic architecture and the best wines. I'm sure the traffic is heavy in the summer but it is worth it. We went in May(twice) and found little or no traffic problem and never a parking problen. Stop at all the little wineries for a tasting, its very inexpensive to buy wine there. We're off to France in 3 weeks but I'd love to go back to the Mosel. Bon Voyage. yy4me
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM

No one company always has the lowest prices everywhere, every time. Shop around.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I would try Europa Car if you prefer an automatic. Driving in Germany is seriously not that bad compare to other European countries. Brush up on the signs and the rules and you'll be fine (i.e. no right on red unless otherwise directed, traffic circle rules, etc.). Navigating in Germany is pretty simple as long as you have a reliable map/navigator to guide you.

The autobahn can be a little intimidating at times but just remember - use the left lane only for passing and get over as soon as possible. There will be those that like to travel at speeds that seem insane but just remember - don't cut them off and don't get freaked out, just move over as soon as possible and you should be okay.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:08 PM

there are several car rental companies in Frankfurt.
Check with via the german or (international) interpages
www.europcar.de (www.europcar.com)
www.hertz.de (www.hertz.com)
www.avis.de (www.avis.com)
www.budget.de (www.budget.com)
www.sixt.de (www.sixt.com)
www.alamo.de (www.alamo.com)

Consider that car rentals at airports are subject of an extra fee (airport fee). You will get sometimes an extra discount (10%) with a ff-card. Check with your ff-prgramm.

Summer vacation will be in Germany in July & August and highways (Autobahn) can be busy.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tom 22, for the thoughts about an airport fee. I had not thought about that. My husband is now willing to go with a stick shift, realizing that we won't be doing that much driving, but I'm thinking I would prefer a car with a/c to avoid road noise and debris, so we may still end up with an automatic, since it appears that most stick shifts do not come with a/c. The car rental web sites are not really that user friendly and it sometimes takes a while to figure out what features a car has and what kind of coverage is included. Anyway, we are narrowing down the search. Thanks everyone for all the web sites and suggestions. I never stop getting amazed at how generous everyone is with their time and suggestions. One last question: are the roads in the Rhine region relatively uncrowded? Using my standard, that is metropolitan Los Angeles, which means are the roads parking lots or just crowded, but they still continue to move? I'm used to crowded roads, but I would hate sitting in a car waiting for traffic to move. I face that everyday on the way to work! By the way Harzer, there is an argus that apparently serves Germany. And YY4me, you certainly make the region sound appealing. Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM

there are several car rental companies in Kiel
www.autovermietung-will.de
Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Why is this thread being reactivated over 4 years later? I have an idea, but hate to suggest the possibility. . .