Car Hire from Porto Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish to hire a car from Porto airport but most suppliers seem to have very poor reviews. Having had a bad experience in Sicily I am after advice. In particular I want to pick up at the terminal not have to have a drop off coach. Also efficient processing would be great.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM

What kind of bad experience did you have in Sicily that you are trying to avoid?

If you want to pick up the car at the terminal, I am not sure it is possible, but if it is, it is probaby limited to one or two rental car companies, and you will be stuck with whatever type of service they offer.

As for the issues of efficient processing, how fast you are able to pick up your car is often a feature of how many planes land during your time frame. I have also noticed at busy car rental offices that many of the longest delays in processing come from customers asking many many questions and reading over contracts and inspecting cars, not the fault of rental agents.

Again, if you are going to be renting the car at a busy time of day for the airport, you might just be stuck behind people who are inexperienced in renting a car in a foreign country.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 04:02 AM

Hey!
Had the same bad experience in car rents. A friend adviced me to use an app on my smartphone to find a good carrental company. There are plenty of them in iTunes store. Here is one that I use https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/car-...3650?ls=1&mt=8 Works pretty good all over the world. I used it several times when was on a business trip to Poland, Germany and GB, so it's tested well by me.) I didnt expect that ammount of car rental companies on Poland. Their database is pretty big.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 07:23 AM

It is certainly unfortunate that issues with processing and extra fees seem to be the norm! Not sure what your specific issue was, sal56, but most problems I've heard of usually come from people getting hit with unexpected charges (see http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-in-italy.cfm ) that, while they may be excessive or unreasonable, are always listed in the rental contract. If you are sure to read the terms and conditions, you can empower yourself to make an informed decision on where to take your business and find the best price on a rental.

In terms of processing, I can't agree with sandralist more. You can't control how busy any business anywhere will or won't be.

Your best bet is to stick with trusted car rental companies (Avis, Budget, Europcar) and shop around the find the best deal. There are alot of brokers and aggregators out there, but one of the most frequently recommended on the forums here is Auto Europe; they offer rates with all the big names for <a href="http://www.autoeurope.com/go/car-rental/portugal/porto/">car rentals at Porto Airport</a>. I believe Auto Europe even has a new "guarantee" going where they'll pay for your rental if your car isn't ready when you arrive; you'll have to search around their website for the details on that but it seems appealing to your need for a quick pickup.

As always, read the terms and conditions of your rental contract and call whatever company you book with to ask questions if you have any. This, more times than not, will prevent you from having a bad experience at the rental desk!
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Slightly different scenario, we dropped our rental car off at Porto airport. It wasn't any different than other airport experiences we've had. No problems at all.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 11:24 AM

As always, Autoeurope or Kemwel---they are sister companies and stand behind their customers. Kemwel has had better rates in recent experiences.