Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Captain Corelli Movie out in London - and the reviews are AWFUL!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Eva

I was dying to see it but they are saying it is awful - right down to Cages accent! <BR> <BR>Please see this link for details:http://www.thetimes.co.uk/section/0,,699,00.html <BR> <BR>Does anyone know someone who has seen it? <BR> <BR>

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Maria

Can you believe it? We waited sooo long!

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Judy

Hi Eva, The hell you say! Next you'll be saying their is no Santa and no Easter Bunny... I had such hopes! Judy

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Lizzie

Please note that said damning review was written by a woman who didn't like the book one bit...

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Beth Anderson

I will be sure to post a report, maybe even from London.... <BR> <BR <BR> <BR>not to be discouraging but - it does not open stateside until <BR>AUGUST <BR> <BR>AUGH-ust. <BR> <BR>yikes...

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:35 AM
sylvia

The reviews have been dire! I quote from the Guardian <BR> <BR>"Nicolas Cage is disastrously miscast in a dreary, drooping adaptation of the Louis de Bernieres novel .....What a droopy, disappointing film this is. It has some of the unhappiest casting to be seen and dodgiest accents to be heard in the cinema, the worst offender being the barrel-chested, horse-faced Nicolas Cage as a captain in the Italian army (the comically incompetent innocents of fascism, apparently) who charms the socks, and indeed the pants, off the gorgeous Pelagia (Penelope Cruz). This he achieves with his sensitive love of music and that famous mandolin, which he has nestling pertly in his knapsack in lieu of a field marshal's baton. He and his adorable comrades want nothing more than to hang out on the beach, running in and out of the surf like the Monkees, singing and snogging their imported ladies of ill repute. "We are-a Italian-a!" explains Mr Cage, with a twinkle in his eye, "famous-a for-a singing-a! Eating-a! And making-a leeeeeeeurrrve....Frankly, no one could look more ill-at-ease or unconvincing with a musical instrument, and with so much broad comedy in his performance it would not be very surprising if Cage tried blowing into it. ....David Morrissey (a generally excellent actor here forced into the role of uptight German officer) appears to be history's only recorded Scouse Nazi. The only actor really at home seems to be John Hurt as Dr Iannis, Pelagia's father - his face lizardly, impassive and sunburned, the corners of his mouth turned uncompromisingly down. He has the film's one really disturbing and powerful moment, when, as war is declared, he gives Pelagia a revolver - an oddly new-looking and well-maintained weapon - and tells her that she must not hesitate to use it on herself if necessary." <BR> <BR>I get the distinct impression that the critic Peter Bradshaw didn't like it. <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Robin

I'm so depressed. Do you suppose that, as a hopelessly pedestrian American, I might enjoy it anyway?

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Jon

The same thing happened w/ Angela's Ashes...great book, Hollywood messed it up. <BR>Same thing with every John Grisham novel Hollywood got there hands on. <BR>In an interview Frank McCourt was asked if it bothered him to see the moviemakers altering his story. He said cooly, "No. My book is my story and they can't change any of it." <BR>j. <BR>Judy-if you use expletives people will think you're being snippy!

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Judy

Jon: you are right! I lost control. Sister Mary Margaret will be after me for sure......but Corelli's Mandolin is awful? Judy ;-(

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Mary

I haven't read Corellis Mandolin, but I want to, much more then I want to see the movie. Why? Becuase, I've noticed that good books are usually made inti crummy movies and crummy books sometimes turn into pretty good flicks. Perfect example is The Horse Whisperer and Prince of tides. Great books- so so movies. Any book that is an Oprah pick usually is just a fair book, but they've been made into great movies, like Where the Heart is and Ellen Foster. I think the main reason is with really good writing you can imagine the characters in your head and a movie just can't live up to what you can imagine.

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:31 AM
Philip

Gone with the Wind - good book, good movie. The Wizard of Oz - good book, good movie. Harry Potter - good book,...??? We better start now sending out positive brain waves.

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:56 AM
Deargod

While in London last week I noticed the posters were out and was going to ask if anyone had seen CCM yet. How disappointing if the early reviews are true!! <BR> <BR>I did have my doubts about casting Cage (too old?). I think the real problem with most film versions of books is that they generally cut too much out in order to make it less then 2 hours. Gone with the Wind was nearly 4 hours as I recall. The Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice was as long. Then you look at recent Hollywood adaptations of books (Sense and Sensibility comes to mind) and you can just tell things are rushed along... perhaps that is what has happened with CCM. <BR> <BR>Maybe we should all take up a collection and have BBC do the full length version

Old May 7th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Kavey

I loved the book but I must admit that as soon as I heard about Cage being cast as Corelli I was disappointed. <BR> <BR>Cage just isnt Corelli to me. Perhaps if he was a better actor he could be but he always plays one character - Nicholas Cage. <BR> <BR>So I dont know if I even want to go and see it. <BR> <BR>I am looking forward to Harry Potter, though I have to say Robbie Coltrane isnt Hagrid for me. Brian Blessed, now he would have made a perfect Hagrid. Having said that the rest of the casting looks solid, and Robie Coltrane is at least a good enough actor that he should make a good stab at Hagrid...

Old May 7th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Beth Anderson

so, who would be worse than Cage? Keanu Reeves? <BR> <BR>grin. <BR> <BR>ok, anyone have any opinions on who SHOULD have been Corelli? <BR> <BR>

Old May 7th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Judy

Jeremy Northram....hunk extraordinaire,,,excellent actor too! He could be Italian, yes? Judy ;-) <BR>Maybe Joseph Fiennes?

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Beth Anderson

you know Judy, I was going to say Joseph Fiennes. I was almost going to say Ralph cuz he is the first one who comes to mind for ANYTHING, but I cannot see him as a happy go lucky, quirky mandolin player. no matter how hard I try. He is meant to be brooding and mysterious.. <BR> <BR>how about David Morrissey?

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Eva

How about, to start someone good looking who actually looks Italian...

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Kavey

Which Fiennes was it in Enemy at the Gate? <BR> <BR>He would be good, he has the acting skills to make Corelli come alive and the dark good looks to go with it... <BR> <BR>Speaking of that film, has anyone else seen it, I thought it was superb?

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Judy

Eva: Roberto Begnini from "Life is Beautiful"? good actor but not my idea of Corelli! or maybe yes? good actor but not a hunk IMVHO... sorry Roberto fans..... <BR> Judy ;-)

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Beth Anderson

JUDY! <BR> <BR>How could I forget. <BR> <BR>yes yes yes yes. <BR> <BR>Corelli doesn't have to be a stereotypical hunk - Roberto is such a cute little guy... and yes, I can completely see him as Corelli - at least the 'lighter' side of Corelli. Not sure about the more somber side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -