Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Capris Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/capris-question-722897/)

jdraper Jul 22nd, 2007 09:50 AM

Capris Question

DH and I are planning a trip to Rome, Naples and Sorrento next May for our 30th wedding anniversary. We are considering adding two or three days in Capris. I tried doing a search on Capris and came up with a huge string of "what to wear" questions concerning capris pants.

Any ideas on how to search this topic without the fashion questions?

For those of you who have been to Capris, it is worth two days or could it be a day trip by ferry from Sorrento?

Thanks for you insight and input, as always very useful.

Tim_and_Liz Jul 22nd, 2007 09:51 AM

Try searching for "Capri" without the "s".

Christina Jul 22nd, 2007 10:00 AM

I think that's right, just search on capri. I've never heard of that called "Capris" and people never refer to the pants as capri (well, rarely, they do refer to capri pants, but not much any more).

Other than that, combine it with a word that is likely to almost always be in such a post that is specific to what you want, not the fashion thing. Like maybe ferry or sorrento. YOu have to use AND between them in the search box. Also, you can hold down the Italy in the search box, but sometimes you miss posts that way if someone didn't use the correct country to post it. However, in your case, it's worth a try.

marginal_margiela Jul 22nd, 2007 10:03 AM

Darling, it is Capri, not Capris. And it is pronounced CAP-ree, not ca-PREE.

I, personally, hate Sorrento. I think it is a dump. Stay on Capri for two nights at Quisisana. No other hotel is acceptable.

Wear your best designer clothes. Make sure your sunglasses are real Tom Ford, not fake. Everyone in the piazzetta can spot a fake a mile away.

Don't even think of bringing that plastic Chanel purse you bought on Canal Street. The shopgirls in Tod's will sneer at you and you won't get a good table at Luna.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

kaneda Jul 22nd, 2007 10:06 AM

A few hours on Capri, looking at the scenery and in the shops is enough for most people. A boat ride around the bay is OK too.

Wear what you like. No one seemed bothered when I was there. Note, it's only several miles from Sorrento.

nytraveler Jul 22nd, 2007 10:09 AM

If Capri doesn;t do it search Isle of Capri. Aany web site/guide book should have tons o f info. Very beautiful (mobbed during the day and much nicer at night). Roman ruins, Blue Grotto, cute walks - and do stay at a nice resort style hotel.

As for Sorrento - yes it is a bigger town - and not such a destination in intself. but a hand place to tour from - to see Capri, the Amalfi cost, Pompeii and the Naples Museum. We always stay at the Excelsior Grand Vittoria, which has beautiful gardens, great terraces and room overlookng the bay of Naples and a nice pool - as well as free parking.

Oscar_James Jul 22nd, 2007 12:09 PM

We stayed one day on Capri. We went to the Pompii archology museum first in Naples. I recommend one and at most two days on Capri... it reminded me of a big tourest trap. Visit our web site to view a ferry ride from Naples to Capri. It will take a while to load but it may give you an idea of what to expect. emilyandjim.info... traveling with Emily

Meagan Jul 22nd, 2007 01:02 PM

A friend and I decided to go to Ischia Island instead of Capri when we were in the area a few years ago. It was fabulous and not nearly as touristy as all the posts I've read about Capri. I've since sent several friends there -- all raved about it. We took a hydrofoil from Naples -- same spot as the ferries to Capri.

knoxvillecouple Jul 22nd, 2007 01:02 PM

In contrast with Oscar_James (or is it Emily?), we spent two nights on Capri a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. We didn't stay at the Quisisana (a bit too rich for our blood) but at La Minerva - gorgeous. By all means spend the night - daytrippers (aka "tourists", unlike us) can spoil the experience somewhat, but after the last ferry leaves, the island is magical. Wonderful walks, beautiful flowers, incredible homes and hotels. Have a campari or a grappa on the piazetta (sp?) after an after-dinner walk. You're transported to another reality.

KC

jdraper Jul 23rd, 2007 05:28 PM

Duh, I can't believe I added the S to Capri. No wonder I got a bunch of fashion questions. Thank you all for pointing that out. I really can spell but I think I was just having another one of those senior moments.

Thank you all for the input on Capri as well. I think we are going to go ahead and plan the two days to Capri for our anniversary trip and see it in the evening after the daytrippers have left. It sounds rather magical to me and the worst that can happen is we are dissappointed and have to spend more time in the hotel alone on our anniversary trip. Reminds me a bit of the honeymoon so not such a bad idea in any case.

As for making sure that I bring the name brand sunglasses, I usually do but not to impress perfect strangers. I learned long ago that I am really not that interested in spending a great deal of time around people who care what label I have on my sunglasses, handbags and clothing. Oh well, so I won't get the best table but I will be with someone great in a fabulous place, what more could I want?