Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Capris during day in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/capris-during-day-in-paris-977455/)

suzabella1 May 10th, 2013 02:55 PM

Capris during day in Paris

I will be in Paris for 4 days in June. Can I wear tan or black capris with sandals (not flip flops) during the day sightseeing?

Also, could I wear a shortsleeve, below the knee dress, or a mid-calf skirt?

HappyTrvlr May 10th, 2013 03:00 PM

Yes, yes, yes.

adrienne May 10th, 2013 03:29 PM

Why not?

Seamus May 10th, 2013 03:39 PM

If you do you'll be one in about a gazillion dressed that way.

nytraveler May 10th, 2013 04:32 PM

You can wear any of those things - not sure what knees have to do with anything. The only places I know requiring covered knees are churches in Italy.

And all those will be fine as long as you don;t get days that are rainy and chilly. I would never go anywhere in europe without a comfy pair of closed walking shoes and a sturdy folding umbrella.

sassy27 May 10th, 2013 04:52 PM

You will not stick out in a crowd if you wear capris, sandals, short sleeves, etc. I even have bought capris there that I love because it got unseasonably hot when I was there. Wear what you want and what you will be comfortable in. Have fun and enjoy.

amer_can May 10th, 2013 05:27 PM

All of the above..comfort trumps style in most cases unless you fancy yourself a dedicated fashionista.Capris and tees are appropriate and scarves an absolute necessity!!! Black carpis can even be dressed up quite a bit for evening and sandals, ballets,and/or glittery thongs can take up very little packing room.Not so hot for walking however!!You'll be just fine!!!

danon May 10th, 2013 06:18 PM

nytraveler has a good point...I have seldom been to Paris when it did not rain ...even in July.

StCirq May 10th, 2013 06:33 PM

Of course, but be prepared for rain.

susan001 May 10th, 2013 08:37 PM

My first thought was... your legs might get cold! It was chilly and rainy when I was there in July. Pack them but also bring warm clothing. An umbrella is a must.

sharona May 10th, 2013 08:44 PM

I agree with everyone else. You can wear any of that and you'll fit in just fine. I don't like to wear light colored bottoms since dirt shows too easily. Make sure your sandals offer support. You'll walk your legs off.

susan001 May 11th, 2013 08:01 AM

I wore black running shoes when I was there in '05 and planning to bring similar ones this time, in addition to sturdy leather shoes. I will have sandals in my suitcase for south of France when I won't be doing miles of walking. Keep in mind there will be lots and lots of walking in Paris. If you can walk 8 miles in your sandals with no strain, then consider wearing them should you have warm weather in Paris.

danon May 11th, 2013 08:23 AM

Why is it assumed that visiting Paris or Rome involves walking 8 miles a day?
Most people don't do anything of the sort.

Mimar May 11th, 2013 08:28 AM

Too bad for you, danon. You're missing all the interesting things you see while walking. I find this especially true in Rome, with the odd Roman ruin popping up in the middle of the busy city.

StCirq May 11th, 2013 08:35 AM

<<Why is it assumed that visiting Paris or Rome involves walking 8 miles a day?
Most people don't do anything of the sort.>>

I do. Actually, I average more than that.

danon May 11th, 2013 08:49 AM

Who said...NO walking at all?
All I am saying is that most people do not walk 8 miles a day.

Ackislander May 11th, 2013 09:04 AM

If they were good enough for Audrey Hepburn -- with sandals or ballet flats -- they are good enough for you!

One proviso, though. One sometimes sees women wearing capris with great big athletic shoes and thick socks pilled up so only about an inch of leg shows between the top of the sock and the capris. This is a recipe for instant dumpiness, even for slim women. Audrey Hepburn would not have done that.

Christina May 11th, 2013 09:17 AM

I do walk miles every day, also, although perhaps not 8.

I am not sure why this questions is being asked, but maybe the OP has never traveled before to any country outside their home and thinks people in different countries wear things very different or something. I really don't understand it, but you could wear whatever you want about anywhere in the world nowadays, I think. All you have to do is look at any news or photos in the media from anywhere and you can see that.

Tourists sightsee and they wear cargo shorts, flipflops, sneaksers, Tshirts everywhere, including Paris and including European tourists. So I could see maybe the capris question if you think everyone is Paris dresses up every day just to go to the store or something, and that you will be scorned (I"m not sure what the question is since it is about sightseeing), but then why would you not think you could wear a skirt or dress?

So I'm not at all certain why the OP asked this question like this, but the answer is, wear whatever you want, seriously, you can, nothing will happen and no one will care.

danon May 11th, 2013 09:37 AM

I returned from Paris on Sunday.....it was jammed with tourists in all kinds of outfits.
The chic women wore tight jeans or black pants, boots or flats and Burberry
like short beige coats . The genera population looked pretty much the same as people in any big city......
The more I visit Paris , the more it seems that people really should not worry about what to wear.
The exception might be those who attend formal or business events/ dinners.