Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Capri for a Day...where to go? What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a day trip over to Capri from Positano on our honeymoon. Can any experienced Capri travellers give us an idea of where to go and what to do for the day?

What locations offer the best views?

What should we NOT miss?

Anywhere special to dine for lunch?

We will be travelling in September - can we still swim? Is it warm enough?

Thanks in advance for recommendations.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know where the "best" view is, but we loved the view from the top of the highest point on the island. Go to Anacapri and take the single-chair lift to the top. Small cafe serves drinks and snacks. There is a pool which, depending on the date of your visit, may still be open/filled. There are changing rooms and WCs.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:25 AM

The best views from my experience are from a few rooms at two hotels in Anacapri - one is the Caesar Augustus and the other is the San Michele. I am not sure what they do for lunch at the Caesar Augustus Hotel but it is probably worth visiting to at least have a drink at the bar and look out from the terrace. I think Augustus Caesar's summer house - Villa Jovis is also worth a visit. The view back to the coastline of Italy is also rather spectacular. I am not particularly impressed by the main part of town in Capri or any of the trattoria style restaurants but there are a few walks from the town around the coastline that are worth doing - you will discover them.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:16 AM

We never made it to Anacapri, so I can't compare the views. The best views we had were on our walk to the natural arch and Il Faraglioni. It was a bit of a hike, but absolutely worth it. There are two restaurants I would recommend. The first one is Le Grottelle which is at the top of the "trail" and has a beautiful view out to the natural arch and the water. We didn't eat there, but it was highly recommended and the view is amazing. The other place I beleive is La Fontelina. It is at the bottom of the "trail" and across from Il Faraglioni. The food was out of this world. I will never be able to order gnocchi any place else. It was so light and delicious. There's a little beach there to rest up before you complete the hike back to Capritown. There was a great trip report from Kiki (?) that inspired us to try this place. I'll find that post and top it for you. Kiki had a some great advice for Capri. There also is a place in the center of Capritown that makes fresh waffle cones for your gelato. The cones are still warm and the gelato start to melt. YUMMY!

I'm so jealous now! Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Hi, we were in Italy in March for a wedding in Rome. The whole wedding party went to Capri for the day. We did a tour in vintage convertibles..so much fun. We went to Blue Grotto, Anacapri and all around. We stopped at all the good view spots. I had read about it somewhere but we did not have it planned. They were there with the cars and we decided on the spur of the moment. Maybe you could google search and find out more. We all had a wonderful time.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Having just returned from Capri, I agree with the recommendation to see the Natural Arch and I would dine at Le Grottelle (it has excellent food and is reasonably priced). I would not spend what may amount to more than two hours to visit the Blue Grotto (it is very commercial and not really worth the time waiting for a few minutes inside the Grotto). A little sight seeing, combined with some window shopping and a nice lunch would make for an enjoyable visit to Capri.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

All of you have provided great suggestions....THANKS SO MUCH. I can't wait to have gelato again!!!