Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Capri? Anacapri? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/capri-anacapri-433125/)

poss Sep 13th, 2008 01:57 PM

Capri? Anacapri?

We'll be stopping in Sorrento on a cruise and definitely want to go to Capri. I'm wondering whether Anacapri is worth going to also. E.g. how long does it take to get from one to another? Is it a simple thing to do? (We're late 70's.) Are the towns quite different?
We're not interested in shopping, but love great views and wonderful gardens and interesting streets and architecture.
Thank you.

Grinisa Sep 13th, 2008 06:07 PM

If you aren't interested in shopping and enjoy views and gardens, it sounds like you should visit Anacapri rather than Capri town. There are gorgeous views from Axel Munthe's home, the Villa San Michele. The home/museum is well worth a visit and has nice gardens. For the most spectacular views on Capri you can take the chairlift up to Monte Solare where you can see the entire island, Naples, Vesuvious and the Amalfi Coast. The bus to Anacapri takes about thirty minutes from the terminal in Capri Town or you can take a taxi.

SusanP Sep 13th, 2008 06:35 PM

I haven't done it, but according to Steve James, who knows everything :-d , if you want to skip Capri Town altogether, you can catch a bus near the port directly up to Anacapri.

If you do go into Capri Town, there is a nice small garden right at the top of Villa Krupp, Giardini Augusto, and you can take stairs from in the garden up to an overlook with wonderful views that include I Faraglioni.

poss Sep 14th, 2008 07:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. My problem is that while I love great views, I'm awful with heights and with scary/hairy rides. I know-- a conflict of interests! I'm hoping I'll be able to steel my nerves and make the trip to Anacapri-- I think we'd love it up there. (I used to ski and wept in fear almost every time up on the chair lifts: was fine about coming down trails-- just so long as I couldn't see down! i.e. I tried to keep off open hills....)

Jean Sep 14th, 2008 10:27 AM

Poss, you will not be comfortable going up the chair lift to Mt. Solare, but Anacapri is charming and nothing to steel your nerves about.

There is bus service on the island. Just buy a day pass in Capri town and ride the buses to Anacapri and around the island. There are also taxis.

http://www.capri.net/en/getting-about

Grinisa Sep 14th, 2008 10:30 AM

I hope you can overcome your fear of heights for Capri because so many of the views seem to be at the edges of sheer cliffs and bluffs. Villa Jovis comes to mind. The chair lift up to Monte Solare is very tame. It never gets too high off the ground, is fairly slow, very smooth and travels through trees and brush so is not "out in the open." Enjoy Capri!

Jean Sep 14th, 2008 03:14 PM

I disagree with the characterization of the chair lift as "tame." Yes, the lift is slow, almost snail-like. But for someone with height issues, it's impossible to ignore that a segment of the ride is quite a ways above ground which is not as noticeable going up but very apparent on the ride down.

And, poss, since you used to ski, you may recall the old lifts that did not slow down at the boarding area. You stand in a marked spot, and the lift attendant pulls the chair back slightly as it approaches you. You grab the chair and sit down as you're swept up and away. Getting off the chair involves a quick hop off and out of the way. The chairs are singles with a flimsy "safety" bar you close over your lap.

gabriele Sep 14th, 2008 03:40 PM

poss, there are very few people who are more freightened of heights than I, and the chair lift from Anacapri to Monte Solaro didn't cause me a moment's concern -- as previously stated, it is quite low and quite tame. I actually enjoyed it tremendously. You will love the view from the top. If, however, you do not want to go on the chair lift, there's still plenty to see in Anacapri. One of the most fun parts is the drive up from Capri town, which is also worth a walk through. In Capri town, you might also talk the walk to Punta Tragara. In any event, enjoy!

traveldawg Sep 14th, 2008 03:45 PM

We were in Capri on September 12, 2008...last week. Had been there before, about 10 years ago. My thoughts:

If you want to shop high, high end stuff...go to Capri. The Euro will knock your socks off with the prices! My wife and I are experienced travelers, about 30 trips to Europe, but this time Capri was a shock.

If you want the views, go to AnaCapri. They still have the one expensive shop, but the cable car is not that bad. We enjoyed the ride up and back. No one in our group got ill. (We are in our early 60s).

Just be prepared for the prices. Ten years ago I purchased some nice things at Ferragamo as did my wife. No more! Just wait and buy in the US.

SORRENTO: We had a group dinner at Caruso's. Nice place and interesting. Near the town square.

poss Sep 14th, 2008 04:13 PM

All these replies have been terrifically informative and helpful. Jean-- your specifics on the chair did the trick. I realize that it wouldn't be a good idea for either of us (dh not at all bothered by heights, but maybe not steady enough to do the little getting off jig).
Thanks so very much everyone.

TravMimi Sep 14th, 2008 04:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbEHNrBjP0
Nice video of the chair lift. Youtube is very helpful for such things.

julia1 Sep 14th, 2008 07:22 PM

poss-

Capri and Anacapri are both worth visiting, but you might enjoy Anacapri the most, if you have time for only one. In addition to Villa San Michele, don't miss the small church, Chiesa San Michele, in the center of Anacapri (Ancapri is so small that pretty much everything is 'in the center' or just a few minutes' walk from the center.) The church has a beautiful floor of majolica tiles depicting the story of Adam & Eve's banishment from the garden of Eden, with wonderful botanical detail. Here are some photos of Villa San Michele, Chiesa San Michele, etc.

http://gardentouring.fotopic.net/c812668.html

There are buses directly from the port to Anacapri, with no need to change in Capri town. Just make sure you get on the right bus. If heights bother you, you might want to sit (or stand) on the left-hand side of the bus, as you are facing forward toward the driver. Another option is to share one of the open-top limo/taxis with two other people from your ferry, to make it more reasonable. You can also get a bus back down to the port without stoppng in Capri, if you want. But, as someone mentioned, the gardens of Augustus are worth a stop. And very nearby is the old Certosa, also worth a visit if you have the time.

As far as time is concerned, the island is quite small. It takes only a few minutes, maybe 10-15, to get to Capri town by bus or taxi. There is also a funivia, kind of a little cog-railway, a few minutes' walk from the ferries that will quickly take you up to the center of Capri town. Factor in a wait of up to 30 minutes or so if you take the bus and there is a queue. It's less than 30 minutes to reach Anacapri from the port by bus or taxi. If you're there during a busy time, you'll probably also have to queue in Anacapri for a bus back to the port. Again, I'd suggest asking if there are two others who want to share a taxi. It's still expensive, maybe 10 Euro per person (it's been about three years since I was last there) but sometimes the convenience is worth the extra cost.

Another thought, if you have time, is to take a bus from the center of Capri town down to Marina Piccola on the side of the island opposite to where the ferries come in. It is kind of a sleepy place where there are a few little restaurants, nice views of the Faraglione, and you can stick your toes into the sea. It's an easy walk down, actually, but will take about 30 minutes. Take the bus back up, though.

poss Sep 15th, 2008 07:57 AM

Wow! All greatly appreciated!!