Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Capri, Amalfi coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/capri-amalfi-coast-736222/)

Vicky Sep 13th, 2007 08:57 AM

Capri, Amalfi coast

I am starting to plan a trip to Capri and the Amalfi coast for May 2008. I will fly to Naples and probably have a driver take me to either Amalfi or Positano for 2 days then onto Capri for 3. I already have my hotel for capri as it is small, gets great reviews and very reasonable - 115 euros for a deluxe double with breakfast -- if I wait I might face only having very expensive properties available. My question is -- between Amalfi and Positano, is there a big advantage to staying in Positano? Amalfi hotels are much more reasonable but of course I want to see Positano. If i stay in Positano I am lookin at the Hotel California and the bed and breakfast Villa Rosa. No ideas yet if I stay in Amalfi

PalenqueBob Sep 13th, 2007 11:02 AM

amalfi is a gem IMO - ravello hovers above it - there is a neat walking path that goes up there, thru verdant orchards and vineyards - ravello has a great view over the coast.

Amalfi has neat town square cum nice church on its seafront.

Only passed thru Positano so can't comment but hard to be better than Amalfi IMO and the two are not all that far apart.

cheryllj Sep 13th, 2007 11:18 AM

Positano and Amalfi are both lovely and aren't that far apart. Imho, Positano has more of an upscale "resort" feel (lots of honeymooners and 20th anniversary trips) while Amalfi has more of a "town" feel with people actually working and living there.

Positano has a slight edge in the "wow" factor because of the way it's built into a cliffside (hence the higher cost), but either town would be a great place to stay as a base for enjoying all of the AC.

cheryllj Sep 13th, 2007 11:25 AM

Oh, and if you really want the "wow" factor, stay at Villa Rosa and be sure to get a room with a balcony. The view is spectactular. If it's booked, try Villa La Tartana, which is a little lower on the cliff.

I don't think the views from Amalfi hotels are quite as good, b/c you have to trek up to Ravello to get the really good views. Positano is all stairs and it helps to be reasonably fit if you stay there. But whatever you choose, be sure to spend time in the other towns b/c the entire AC is lovely.

ira Sep 13th, 2007 01:05 PM

HI V,

>..have a driver take me to either Amalfi or Positano for 2 days then onto Capri for 3. <

It's much easier to take the ferry. :)

It's easier to get to Capri from Positano, but both towns are very nice.

You might want to look at www.lesirene.com in Praiano, 6 km E of Positano.

((I))

ekscrunchy Sep 13th, 2007 01:40 PM

I asked a question about where to base on the AC a few months ago...a rather long discussion ensued. If you attempt a search here, you might find that, or several other, threads on the subject...

I will be returning to the AC next spring for the first time in years; I chose Amalfi although my budget would have allowed me to stay in Positano. Positano, as I remember, is totally oriented to tourists as opposed to Amalfi.

LAwoman Sep 13th, 2007 02:45 PM

I actually saw a lot more tourists in Amalfi than in Positano, in sheer numbers. I think Positano's "verticality" limits the number of tourists that go there. It's not very accessible to tour buses, or people with mobility problems. No question that Positano is geared towards tourists, tho.

Also don't know if it makes any difference but Villa Rosa didn't seem like a B&B to me. It may technically qualify but can't see any difference between it, and other hotels we stayed at while in Italy. We loved it.

gabriele Sep 13th, 2007 02:51 PM

To supplement ekskrunchy, this question has been posed multiple times previously -- probably on a weekly basis. Positano has the "wow" factor, Amalfi does not. If Amalfi were anywhere other than on the Amalfi Coast, it would likely not attract tourists other than for its cathedral. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the town and it has a nice square in front of the cathedral. It is a perfectly fine place to stay if you are in a quiet location -- lots of cars and buses going through. Wouldn't be my first choice, but if you get a much better hotel rate . . . .

SusanP Sep 13th, 2007 02:56 PM

Vicky, where are you staying in Capri?