Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cappadocia hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cappadocia-hotel-735301/)

bouchet Sep 9th, 2007 04:08 PM

Cappadocia hotel

We're going to Cappadocia the end of October. Has anyone stayed at Yunak Evleri? If so, would you recommend it? Should we arrange for a guide before we arrive, or can we do that when we get there? Also, we're planning on flying to Izmir from Kayseri and are having no luck finding non-stop flights. Any recommendations?

MikeBuckley Sep 9th, 2007 04:26 PM

You mention that you're flying at the "end" of October. All of the information shown below is from the schedule through October 27. I haven't checked a later schedule, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are fewer or even no non-stop flights after that date.

Until October 27, the non-stop flights on Turkish Airlines occur on Monday, Thursday and Sunday. The flight number is TK8814. It leaves at 19:15 and arrives at 20:55.

If you can't arrange your itinerary to take advantage of the three non-stop flights, there is a daily flight that only takes 3 hours including the layover in Istanbul. Flight TK 261 leaves at 10:55 and arrives in Istanbul at 12:15. Flight TK 324 leaves at 13:00 and arrives in Izmir at 14:00.

All of the other connections require a total of 3 1/2 to 5 hours.

bouchet Sep 9th, 2007 04:54 PM

Thanks Mike. Yes, we're planning on being there from October 29th till October 31st. I guess we're just missing the season. Also, do you know how long it takes to get to Kayseri airport from Urgup or Goreme?

MikeBuckley Sep 9th, 2007 06:05 PM

I haven't been to Turkey but Via Michelin says that it takes 30 minutes from Urgup and 1 hour from Goreme.

sinan Sep 9th, 2007 09:00 PM

Kayseri to Urgup takes an hour maybe litle bit more because airport is other side of Kayseri and you have to pass kayseri.

Yunakevleri one of the nice cave hotel in Cappadocia.

If you can not find a non-stop flight to Kayseri from Izmir you can DEFINITLY find via Istanbul.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz

propertravel Sep 10th, 2007 01:52 AM

Hi Bouchet,
Sun Express the subsidary of Turkish Airlines and Lufthansa flies direct from Izmir to kayseri 3 times a week non-stop. Their last flight on web is 25th October. Flight is 1 hour 20 min.
I believe their winter tariff is not set yet but there should be direct flight after this date as well. Ofcourse via Istanbul is always an option.

Kayseri to Urgup is 1 hour drive with give and take 10 min difference.

You can take a Turkish Airlines shuttle for most flights if reserved beforehand and per person is 15 YTL. Private transfer is about 90 Usd. up to 10-12 people.
Taxi's are about 110 YTL.

Yunak is a nice hotel but you should know the room you are booking for better comfort.

The dates you are mentioning are national holiday in Turkey and Cappadocia's high season. You can try to book your tour when you are here but its risky as for finding a good tour guide!

Better to plan your hotel and tour already.

I myself already having difficulties for some dates to find guides and hotel rooms so take my advice.

Happy travelling.

Murat

brenda66 Sep 25th, 2007 09:41 PM

If you are looking at staying in Goreme you can also try the www.goremehouse.com

TallulahB Oct 10th, 2007 12:20 PM

I recommend Esbelli Evi in Urgup. It's a gorgeous cave hotel with really high quality accomodations and services. We paid about $110US a night last year in September for a HUGE two room twin accomodation.

SusanC Oct 24th, 2007 06:04 AM

Bouchet,
I just spent 5 days in Cappa. I stayed 4 nights at the Serinn House in Urgup. It was very nice and the owner, Eren, is VERY helpful!! You can contact her at [email protected]. She was booked the last night and moved me to a hotel next door (started with a Y but not sure if it is the one you mentioned or not). It was not quite as nice but still fine and had a wonderful area for breakfast - on a grassy cliff overlooking the valley!

Used a guide for one hike - recommended by Eren. Otherwise did not use any guides although Argeus has a good reputation for nice tours.

Definitely do the balloon ride!!!!!

Our drive from Urgup to Kayseri at 6pm on the first day of a holiday weekend took about 45 - 50 minutes. I wouldn't plan to spend any extra time in the airport - it's basically one room!