Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cap Ferret South West France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cap-ferret-south-west-france-682825/)

Adelle Feb 25th, 2007 10:17 AM

Cap Ferret South West France

We are travelling to France this summer. Previously we stayed in the Dordogne region, but we took a drive out to this coastal town (Cap Ferret). I am wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel/apartment that is on this coast. We have searched the web, but are finding that most are already booked for July.

Adelle Feb 26th, 2007 05:27 PM

ttt

cigalechanta Feb 26th, 2007 05:35 PM

Adelle, did you try La Maison du Bassin?

Adelle Feb 26th, 2007 06:24 PM

Yes, they were booked for the time we needed.
Did you stay in that area? Did you enjoy it? How were the beaches?

StCirq Feb 26th, 2007 06:31 PM

I can't help you with a hotel at or near Cap Ferret, because we always visit there from a bse in Bordeaux, but I can tell you that I certainly wouldn't go there exclusively for the beaches, which are really pretty mediocre (and the water's cold most of the year). The sights - Arcachon, Cap Ferret, Dune du Pylat, etc. - are well worth seeing, and the seafood is awesome, but I wouldn't call it a prime beach destination by any means.

cigalechanta Feb 26th, 2007 06:48 PM

Adelle, We tried to get a room at the last minute but they were booked, we found the beaches lovely in the area. We ended up finding a very nice Hotel on the beach in Pyla.

sglass Feb 26th, 2007 08:31 PM

I am so excited for my trip this summer, and am using Villefranche- sur Mer as a base and looked forward to one of the days using a combo of bus and walking to hang out in Cap Ferret. You might try Villefrance...there is a recent thread about hotels there.

cigalechanta Feb 26th, 2007 09:00 PM

sglass, Cap Ferret is on the West Coast. Villefranche is on the east coast. You can't bus to there.

Adelle Feb 28th, 2007 06:58 PM

I was reading a previous thread where you talked about St. Jean de Luz. The apartment that we were hoping for is booked, but the Pierre et Vacances has space.
StCirq - have you used Pierre et Vacances in St. Jean de Luz and do you have an opinion. We have stayed with them in Paris and it is ok, but not much for personality.
Thanks for the info everyone.

StCirq Feb 28th, 2007 07:03 PM

No, Adelle, I've never used Pierre et Vacances in St-Jean-de-Luz. We go there from time to time from our house in the Périgord, but have always just "winged it" and found hotels at the last minute. Which is not at all necessarily what I would recommend for a traveler coming from the USA who wants some assurance as to accommodations. But I gotta say st-Jean-de-Luz is one of my most favorite seaside towns in France.

cigalechanta Feb 28th, 2007 07:13 PM

I agree about St-Jean-De-Luz. And we are ones who do not wing it. We find that part, the most interesting expriences and where we have made friends.

Adelle Mar 1st, 2007 04:49 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think we will enjoy the St. Jean de Luz area and the accommodation is just for breakfast and sleeping really. Just to clarify, we are from Canada and spending the month in France. The first two weeks at a French Immersion in Sancerre. We are hoping to become more fluent.

sglass Mar 1st, 2007 06:32 PM

ummmm- are you all talking about Cap Ferrat just outside of Nice? If not, I humbly apologize for my mistake suggesting Villefranche-sur-Mer as a base for the area. But if we're talking about the same place, I'm confused, because my information shows bus service (except Sundays) and even possible on foot for the hardy....? Thanks!

StCirq Mar 1st, 2007 06:37 PM

Nope - we're all talking about Cap Ferret, near Arcachon and Bordeaux.

cigalechanta Mar 1st, 2007 06:41 PM

sglass :) French names are confusing. Near Villefranche is Cap-Ferrat.
I once almost visited someone in France in the wrong department because of an identical name.

Adelle Mar 1st, 2007 06:48 PM

It was very difficult finding any information on the west coast of France. It is not nearly as popular as the east. These mistakes are made easily. I have been to the east coast and love the medieval towns, but Nice etc. are just not that appealing. I did get some great advice about Corisca several years ago from StCirq. Thanks again.