Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Canterbury or Windsor for my 13 and 15 year old grandsons

Old Jan 28th, 2020, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my daughter and two grandsons to Europe again this summer. We will be flying to Rome for a few days before getting on a Rabbies tour through and Switzerland ending in Paris. We will have about 5 1/2 days in London before our departure to Rome, The boys have been to London before. On this trip we will be going to York after a day and a half spent in London,and spending the night before returning to a London and the next day then going to Salisbury spending a night there taking in the Cathedral and Stonehenge.

I was originally planning a day trip to Canterbury prior to heading to airport for overnight at Sofital and late morning departure to Rome. I haven't been tomCanterbury in years, and I think I only visited the cathedral. I did find a possible site The Canterbury Tales where a guide dressed as a pilgrim leads you through a number of rooms where via an audio you listen to several of Chaucerís Tales. I did check and apparently they have a childrenís version of the tales not quite do bawdy. Not sure with todayís teenagers that the original Chaucer would be too shocking. It gets pretty good reviews. There is also a river cruise with capacity for 12 passengers. No booking, you wait at certain point to get on. Itís highly rated .

Then I got to thinking about Windsor. Wonderful castle which I hate to admit Iíve never visited. Looking at the castle website, it shows a number of beautifully furnished rooms. A bit of that is fine but I think the boys and myself included would like to see some older more castle -like features. Canít remember much about the town itself. Interesting? The boys love to shop but only if there is a Nike store. When in Patis last year, they had a fantastic time shopping along-the Champs -.Elysees.

Seeking advice as to which might be the better option.

Last edited by historytraveler; Jan 28th, 2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Correction if ages
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I have no idea as to how Austria and Belgium got added to U.K. Thought I deleted them but spent most of my time trying to correct the age of one of my grandsons. It wasn’t easy
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 10:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - - Have you/they been to Hampton Court Palace? If not, that would be my #1 choice. For kids of any age it would be my preference. Then probably Windsor simply because it is convenient to LHR/the Sofitel. By 'childrens' version of the Canterbury tales - Not sure what they mean but probably geared to young kids, not 13-15 yo's. But just a guess.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 12:17 AM

Having travelled overseas with my kids at ages 9, 12, 14, 15 and 20, I would say that they were bored stiff with looking at beautifully furnished rooms. An experience that they can relate to and more actively participate in always gets their vote. They like to DO, rather than SEE. I can't comment on Canterbury but I'd skip Windsor unless you think they would have a particular interest in the castle and the town.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 12:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps they would enjoy something connected with Harry Potter.

What was the problem with correcting an age?
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 01:55 AM

Much of Windsor is George IV's (early 19th century) re-invention of the castle-as-stately-home, so if the boys are thinking of dungeons, battles and other grisly doings, it would disappoint. Canterbury Cathedral commemorates Becket, of course, but that and the pilgrims' tales are the few exceptions to the general holiness.

Hampton Court was my first thought too, since I know they lay on actors representing Tudor-era life, which might be more engaging.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 02:29 AM

I would suggest Hampton Court unless you are visiting between 6-12 July which is when the Flower Show is on. I would not visit then.

There is the maze which kids might enjoy, across from Lion Gate is Bushy Park with deer that roam around freely. You can visit Windsor Castle and HCP in one day but that could be too much.

https://surbitoncoaches.com/

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 04:21 AM

Skip Canterbury. It has little to attract most people apart from the Cathedral, and it is daft to go all the way out to Canterbury and then back to get to Heathrow.
Presumably this trip to Windsor or Canterbury is with luggage also? Or am I misunderstanding your planning?

Maybe stay an extra night in York and go from Salisbury to the airport hotel, and forget about all the moving around and one night stops.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. They have been to Hampton Court, and I am the only Harry Potter fan. Looking at the pictures from Windsor, I had much the same thought about the elaborately furnished rooms. More than a couple start to bore me but the boys have yet to see a castle. I am very familiar with the Becket/ Henry Il feud , so could easily relate that story in a timely manner and the cathedral is beautiful.

We could do Oxford which I call my second home. There are a couple of museums but thinking the University Museum might be the best choice. Yes, I know the Ashmolean is excellent but not sure its exhibits would excite them.. A walking tour of Oxford and if weather permits maybe punting. It might take too much time but one of my favorite activities is the walk along the Thames to St. Mary’s Iffley. They might also like seeing my college. My daughter has been there so will check with her to get another opinion.

Although they have been to Hampton Court, they arrive later than my son, daughter-in-law, granddaughter and myself. My son-in law insisted on a prolonged lunch, and he also gets bored after about 15 minutes at any historical sites. Need I say he hasn’t been invited or even displayed any interest in coming. They might possibly enjoy a more leisurely extended visit.

If we go to Canterbury or even try Hampton Court again, will leave luggage at hotel,, return for car service pickup to LHR hopefully after dinner in London. I’ve found most hotels are generally good about holding luggage for you but have never asked to have held into the evening. Will certainly check on arrival.If we do Windsor, we will have car service take us to LHR, check in to hotel and take taxi to Windsor. Oxford would require a return to a London to pickup luggage then car service to LHR and that might be the most complicated.

Regarding trying to correct one of the ages from 23 to 13. It took several attempts to do so. I’d make corrections but they only showed up in text, not in title. Perhaps, I was at fault but doubt it. I’ve easily edited before.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 06:27 AM

Why not go straight up to York on arrival, then return to London, do Canterbury or wherever you decide upon from there, as a daytrip? I'd still add a day to York though.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 07:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, titles are REALLY tough to edit! I'm impressed if you were able to do so!
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Decision made. I was opting for Hampton Court. When we visited about 4 years ago, they only saw about 1/4 of the place but my daughter was not interested. Guessing she really has no idea of what they missed. She was leaning toward Windsor based on the fact that a friend of hers had lived in London . I had several looks at Windsor websites and just felt it not the best choice for teen aged boys. My daughter did suggest spending the day in London and that’s what we’ll be doing. Think it really is the best option.

Thanks for your comments and Odin for the shuttle link . Will keep it in mind if ever plan to do both.