Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Canterbury - Day trip from London
Notices

Canterbury - Day trip from London

Jun 26th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Canterbury - Day trip from London

I am interested in doing a day trip to Canterbury next summer when I visit London. What are some of the must sees and other interesting/fun/offbeat things to see and do?. It seems that it is an easy one day train trip - is this so? Is the station walkable from the main sightseeing areas? Thanks for any advice. Gailellen
Jun 26th, 2012, 07:43 PM
ron

The must sees are the 3 parts of the Canterbury World Heritage Site - Canterbury Cathedral, St Augustine's Abbey and St Martin's church. Walking along the medieval wall is pleasant. The Roman museum is small, but if you are into Roman Britain...I suppose some would find the reputedly cheesy Canterbury Tales attraction fun and offbeat. I'll never know.

Canterbury is served by two train stations, depending on where you leave from London. Both are just outside the city walls.
Jun 26th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice. Gailellen
Jun 27th, 2012, 04:15 AM

Be sure to read about St Anselm and about Thomas a Becket, even if only on Wikipedia before you go (in addition to the art and architecture of the cathedral) You will be standing where important and dramatic historical events took place, and it is nice to absorb them with some knowledge.

Search this Thread