Search

Can't wrap my head around Montjuic; help please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wrap my head around Montjuic; help please

I've been up Montjuic once before. That time, I took the funicular from Paral.lel stop up. Then I visited Fundacio Joan Miro, followed by MNAC. Then I took the escalator down the front of MNAC to Placa Espanya.

This time I'm traveling with my parents, and they're more interested in scenery than museums. Here's what I'm considering:

Take funicular from Paral.lel, then change to the Teleferic de Montjuic cable car up to Castell de Montjuic. Wander around the castle, then, <u>is it feasible</u> to walk (down the hill?) to the Olympic Stadium? Visit the gardens on Montjuic, then over to MNAC and down the hill to Placa Espanya?

It looks like there are a number of gardens up on Montjuic, is one better than others? What else should we see while we're on Montjuic?

I think we may skip the Transbordador Aeri cable car to Barcelonata... Will we get a decent view on the Teleferic, or should we absolutely do both?
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM

I've only been to Barcelona once so I am definitely not an expert. I did not go on the Teleferic de Montjuic, but did do the Transbordador Aeri car to Barceloneta. I loved it! The view of the city was wonderful and swinging down over to the harbor was a great experience. Once down at the harbor we walked back over to the Ramblas area. There are a couple of harbor tours and we stumbled upon one (on another day) that was a quick tour and very enjoyable. Getting back to Montjuic we enjoyed the Fundacio Joan Miro very much. Would your parents consider that if you were also interested in doing it again?
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM
yk
Original Poster

opaldog, thanks for your input. I was in Barcelona 2 years ago, so I don't feel the need to return to Fundacio Joan Miro so soon, esp if my parents aren't interested in it.

Anyone else have other comments regarding my "plan"?
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 09:05 AM

The last time I was Barcelona, which was three years ago, I got off at the wrong stop and would up by the castle. It was a 25 minute minute walk back to the museum. If you get off at the stop by the museum, you can walk toward the Olympic Stadium, there are many small parks with spectacular views and I also believe there is a bus there as well.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM

I just got from Barcelona and similarly wanted views. We took a different approach and bought tickets for teh city tour bus. Thus allowin an on'off experiance. We got off at the teleferic cable car stop and took it up to the castle. We road it down, however I think a walk back down would be fine, but frankly I'm not sure there is much to see along the walk. The bus companies coupon book has a round trip coupon that is only a few EU more than a one way. You could but the r/t ticket and then decide if you want to walk all down (or just to the halfway point)
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 09:37 AM
yk
Original Poster

seafox, how was the view from the Teleferic cable car? I don't think we'll do a HOHO, but I believe the city bus also runs to the castle, so we can take the bus if we don't want to walk down.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM

yk,
I am in Barcelona right now.
Several years ago we went to the top...the view was great
the port is huge...interesting to see
a small museum right there. Don´t remember much about going down.
There is a huge Miro retrospective -
..150 works
I may go tomorrow.
Went to Sitges today.... many beaches, bars etc...
nice walk by the sea....
people were
on the beach and in the water ! Nothing much else.
Both Madrid and Barcelona have been very warm for mid Oct.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
yk
Original Poster

danon, thanks! (I saw your reply on my other thread too.) I noticed that it's HOT in Barcelona right now. Hope it'll be cooler when we get there next week. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM

You are welcome YK.