Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to spend a "Perfect" Sunday in Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm aiming for perfect but I'll settle for great

I'd like to know what you consider a perfect Sunday while in Tuscany. We like slow travel but the reality is we are only in Tuscany for one week so I don't see Sunday as our "day of rest".

My research shows that most of the vineyards are closed so it's not a good day to choose for winery visits. Would this be the best day to visit Siena or Volterra or are there more large group tours likely on a Sunday? Do you prefer to visit the smaller towns or larger cities on a Sunday? In the smaller towns or even in cities, do the restaurants have limited hours of service on a Sunday?

I look forward to reading your suggestions. Thank you, Deborah
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM

You don't say where you are, but I would do what many Italians do and find a nice restaurant in a small town or village, preferably one with a terrace and a view and reserve a table for lunch at 1 PM.

I would then, and probably only then during my time in Italy, eat a full, multi-course Italian lunch, antipasti, primi, secondi, dessert. Eat this preferably surrounded by extended Italian families, everyone from Nonna to bambini, lots of aunts and uncles. They won't be your own family, but absorb the atmosphere by osmosis. Don't worry about calories or fat or whether you are getting enough vitamins. Drink an aperitivo before and something as a digestive afterwords, and drink as good a wine as you can afford with the meal. Take _at least_ three hours to do this. Then go for a stroll. A gentle stroll.

We did this splendidly at Il Pozzo in Monteriggione. It cost a lot but it was worth every penny. How do I know that? I have totally forgotten what I ate and how much it cost, but I still treasure the memory of the experience.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander, conveniently we are staying just outside of Monteriggioni. I'll certainly consider Il Pozzo. We had a memorable dining experience similar to yours during our first visit to Rome. Thanks for sharing your travel memory. Deborah
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:34 AM

I totally agree with the long lunch plan, but for me a languorous afternoon in Tuscany would also involve indulging in a rustic, remote woodland spa somewhere - not one of those fancy ones where you go for "treatments," just a hidden oasis where you can bathe away your travel aches for an hour or so.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM

Is it raining on this Sunday or sunny?

Sunday is not an ideal day to visit Siena because there are church services that close the Duomo all morning. You might find that all the touristic towns are more crowded on Sundays, because Italians like to be tourists in their own country too, and Sunday is their only day off.

Many restaurants do close on Sundays, to be sure to double check before you go. (It's always a good idea to double check anyway, and make a reservation.) Those that are open will be serving the usual hours.

My ideal would be to play it by ear, taking into account mood and weather. Assemble a couple of possibilities, and decide what you feel like doing that Sunday. Also, when you arrive in Tuscany, pay attention to signs that indicate where there might be upcoming Sunday festivals. If you want to go to one, be prepared for a competition for parking.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:13 PM

StCirq, any suggestions on such remote spas?
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM

We prefer a slow long drive and a long lunch... and then meander home. (a good map is nessecary) A lot of Italians like a picnic on Sunday. In our experience, most restaurants we love are closed on Tuesday, but that might be just those we love. Also, most of the year each restaurant has a "closed" day but in the summer months they are very often open all week. It is quite different from month to month so it would help if you have an idea of when you are by Monteriggoni... beautiful area by the way./
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for giving suggestions on spending a Sunday in Tuscany. The idea to plan a day around a long lunch or a spa visit sounds like a pleasant way to slow our pace. Unfortunately for me, my husband is not as fond of quality spa time as I am--that's what's nice about "girl" trips

julesb23 I found this brochure about spas in the Tuscany region maybe something in it will work for you. http://tinyurl.com/cps92m7

Thanks again for the suggestions, Deborah