Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can't do it all- can we skip the Cliffs of Moher? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cant-do-it-all-can-we-skip-the-cliffs-of-moher-531690/)

shamrockcb May 25th, 2005 09:38 AM

Can't do it all- can we skip the Cliffs of Moher?

My DH and I are travelling to London/Ireland in only 9 days and I am having a very difficult time trying to fit in everything.

I know might be a bad idea, but I think we may have to skip the Cliffs of Moher- would that be a big mistake? We only have 3 days to tour the ring of kerry and then we're going to end up in Dublin at the end of our trip.

here's my proposed agenda-
Day 1 Fly into Kerry- stay in Killarney
Day 2 Visit Kenmare, stay in Kenmare
Day 3 Drive to Cork and stay there
Day 4 Drive to Dublin

Also, would it be really regrettable if we miss stopping in Kilkenny? It just seems off the beaten path on the way to Dublin.

Any advice you have is GREATLY appreciated!

rex May 25th, 2005 10:39 AM

Hmmm... I don't know. It might be on the test.

;)

Best wishes,

Rex

Shane May 25th, 2005 10:53 AM

I'd skip Cork and Blarney Castle and add the Cliffs of Moher and a night at Doolin. The impromptu Irish folk bands that play at Doolin's pubs at night are fantastic and culturally enriching.

bob_brown May 25th, 2005 10:54 AM

Skip the Cliffs of Moher?? Why?
What is there better to see in Ireland?
If there is something better, I did not see it on my tour.

In fact, I was plenty annoyed that we were only allowed 45 minutes there. Had to get to Ennis so the kick back special could be sold to the gullible.

Steeleyes May 25th, 2005 11:14 AM

Do NOT skip the Cliffs. Skip Killarney instead - you will not regret it.

Holldoll May 25th, 2005 11:39 AM

Agree with everyone. Skip Cork and see the Cliffs.

yesiree100 May 25th, 2005 12:00 PM

I agree; skip Cork/Blarney.

After the ROK, head up to the Ciffs and consider a stop in Ennis (it's smaller than Kilkenny and lacks Kilkenny Castle & Design Centre, but it has a similar charm with its narrow streets and pubs with traditional Irish music).

I personally love Kilkenny, but don't bother trying to squeeze it in...If you skip the Cliffs and Cork, you should then give the Rock of Cashel and Kilkenny a thought.

TomRO May 25th, 2005 12:18 PM

How about skipping the Ring of Kerry and go to the Dingle Peninsula?

No matter where you go, be sure to tell the vendo every time you use you credit card that you want the charges in Euro - Not US dollars and you'll save the fees.

P_M May 25th, 2005 12:44 PM

Of course you CAN skip the cliffs, but then you will miss the most scenic part of Ireland. I was not at all impressed by the Ring of Kerry. If it has to be one or the other, do the cliffs.

TomRO is right, don't let ANYONE charge you in $. It's a major rip-off.

Itallian_Chauffer May 25th, 2005 01:05 PM

I LOVE Cork City, but...

You don't have time to do it justice, so I would save it for another time (You WILL want to come back!)
Day 1: Fly into Kerry, drive down to Kenmare, with a vist to Killarney along the way. Stay in Kenmare.
Day 2: Drive to Dingle and do the Slea Head Drive and Connor Pass. Stay in Dingle for the night -life, or The Shores, for the ambiance ('cause lots of people who's judgement I respect, say so.).
Day 3: Take the Tarbert/Killimer Ferry and drive the Loop Head drive to the Cliffs adding a brief tour of the Burren. Stay in either Doolin or Ennis, or push on to Shannon/Bunratty (would make a long day, but would make Day 4 easier).
Day 4: Drive to Dublin via Cashel, to see the Rock.
I am assuming that you are flying out on Day 5, or Later.

Bob

Itallian_Chauffer May 25th, 2005 01:06 PM

I LOVE Cork City, but...

You don't have time to do it justice, so I would save it for another time (You WILL want to come back!)
Day 1: Fly into Kerry, drive down to Kenmare, with a vist to Killarney along the way. Stay in Kenmare.
Day 2: Drive to Dingle and do the Slea Head Drive and Connor Pass. Stay in Dingle for the night -life, or The Shores, for the ambiance ('cause lots of people who's judgement I respect, say so.).
Day 3: Take the Tarbert/Killimer Ferry and drive the Loop Head drive to the Cliffs adding a brief tour of the Burren. Stay in either Doolin or Ennis, or push on to Shannon/Bunratty (would make a long day, but would make Day 4 easier).
Day 4: Drive to Dublin via Cashel, to see the Rock.
I am assuming that you are flying out on Day 5, or Later and that you have never been to Ireland before.

Bob

Colorado17 May 25th, 2005 01:12 PM

I've done most of the things mentioned here on the post.....my suggestions:

1.Skip Cork and spend a day in Dingle.
it was suggested to us by a local, skipping the Ring of Kerry and he told us that Dingle is a teeny less touristy and it was gorgeous!
2. Definitely don't miss the cliff's...my sister and I stayed in Doolin...it was fun!
-CO

adamsparks May 25th, 2005 01:22 PM

I was a first time traveler to Ireland last October. The Cliffs of Moher is one of those lasting memories 7 months later. I wouldn't miss it. Also went to Dingle instead of the Ring. Dingle is wonderful. Next time I go back I am just going to Dingle for two weeks!

allisonm May 25th, 2005 01:42 PM

Another vote in favor of the cliffs and Dingle over ROK.

LoveItaly May 25th, 2005 01:50 PM

Hi shamrockcb, it is your trip and consequently you can do, or not do, anything that pleases you. Well, within reason of course! Best wishes.

Ann41 May 25th, 2005 02:08 PM

Another vote to skip Killarney and hit the Cliffs.

lmhornet May 25th, 2005 03:01 PM

Given your itinerary, forget the Cliffs of Moher. If you are heading south to Cork, a trip as far north just to see the Cliffs would be a very bad idea. Starting from Kerry, that would be an extra 6+ hours of driving, and driving in Ireland is so bad that you will want to minimize it.

Actually, you have put youself in a very bad position by choosing to exit from Dublin. It takes far too long to drive anywhere to do much in 5 days if you have to go all the way to Dublin. By choosing to leave from Dublin rather than from Shannon, you are going to be in a car on those horrendous Irish roads most of your trip. Staying someplace different every night is simply a terrible idea. It will wear you down very, very fast.

Patrick May 25th, 2005 03:13 PM

Apparently I'm in a minority. We were driving and stopped at the Cliffs of Moher which we considered to be a major priority. They were beautiful-- spectacular, even. After about 45 minutes or so, we had seen them and journeyed on.

If we had never seen the Cliffs, my trip would not have been drastically "damaged". On the other hand, if we had missed a lot of Irish village life, or stopping at a country inn and talking with locals, or listening to music in a smoky pub in Doolin, then I would say we would have missed what Ireland is all about.

Again, we enjoyed the cliffs, but to be honest, we've seen many cliffs in many parts of the world which were even more dramatic and spectacular, so I don't feel a trip to Ireland would be ruined by missing them.

Itallian_Chauffer May 25th, 2005 03:47 PM

I agree that the Cliffs, in and of themselves are not worth the trip, but ...
Loop Head, The Burren, Ennis, the Ferry cross the Shannon,
versus

Cork City WITHOUT Cobh, Kinsale, Clonakilty, Baltimore, Midleton, Skibbereen, Bantry, Healy Pass and the Bearra, Glengarriff, Gougane Bearra and the drive along the Lee Valley ...

Forget Cork -- see the Cliffs. Or, forget Cork AND the Cliffs and spend more time in either Kenmare or Dingle.

Itallian_Chauffer May 25th, 2005 03:47 PM

I agree that the Cliffs, in and of themselves are not worth the trip, but ...
The liffs AND Loop Head, The Burren, Ennis, the Ferry cross the Shannon,
versus

Cork City WITHOUT Cobh, Kinsale, Clonakilty, Baltimore, Midleton, Skibbereen, Bantry, Healy Pass and the Bearra, Glengarriff, Gougane Bearra and the drive along the Lee Valley ...

Forget Cork -- see the Cliffs. Or, forget Cork AND the Cliffs and spend more time in either Kenmare or Dingle.