Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can't choose between different Itineraries for Amalfi Coast/Spain/Rome?

Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am planning my trip back to Europe and I am not sure which itinerary to follow. Also, this trip has a little more special of a meaning because it may be the last time we go for a few years. So, I need to make sure we do the cities that are an absolute must. Just to give you a background on me. We went to Europe for the first time this past summer and here is what I loved: (so you can go ahead and get an idea of what to recommend for me)

1) Venice was just purely magical. I fell in love with the uniqueness of it and the classical music playing everywhere and the orchastra in St. Marks Square at nighttime. The history and the architecture was jaw dropping and it cast a spell over me. This was my favorite city.

2) Paris was great! The vibe and energy of the city was amazing and I also loved how much there was to see and do there. The architecture was also amazing and so different than any city here in the US.

3) Cannes was a little similiar to Florida and Lake Como was very relaxing and beautiful and I am glad we did this at the end out of European tour so we could just relax since there is not an abdunance to do there.

So, which itinerary do you like better?

1) Fly into Spain and spend one week there
2) short flight over to amalfi coast and do 1 week there

OR

1) Fly into Rome and spend a few days there, go to Florence and spend a few days there, and end our vacation with a few days on the Amalfi Coast.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

FYI - This is going to be a 17 day trip. I am not the type of person that likes to only spend 1 or 2 days in a city. I think that is a waste of time and just not relaxing.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM

JillDavis:

Last september/october,we were at the Amalfi Coast and Rome(also in Paris.It was a beautiful trip!!!I suggest you arrive at Rome and continue to Florence; then go to Amalfi coast and end your stay in Rome,leaving for home from L.Da Vinci airport.We were in the a.C. one week and 6 days in Rome.If interested you can read my report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...1-to-oct-3.cfm
May be you can profit from some tips.Your three destinations are wonderful(we were at Firenze many years ago).
Enjoy your trip!!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM

What a tough choice. When are you going? What part of Spain are you thinking about? If you haven't been to either, than you will love whichever you choose, and you can't go wrong, either way.

I love both. However, I think I would lean towards Rome, Florence, Amalfi, with day trips out of both Rome and Florence. It makes sense logistically and gives you so much variety - everything you mentioned that you like. With two whole weeks, you can visit some smaller towns and get a real feel for that part of Italy. You don't need a car, unless you want to tour a bit of the countryside in Tuscany. Actually, you can visit quite a few places by train or bus - easy and fast.

The Amalfi Coast is stunning.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Well, I can go at any time (I used to be a teacher and had to go in the summers, but I have recently quit.)

When is the best time to go with the best deals on airfares?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Jill, remembering your trip planning from last year, as well as your comments above, I think you would love the Rome, Florence, AC itinerary. With 17 days, you can have a truly great time.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM

I also would recommend Rome, Florence / Tuscany and the Amalfi coast.

I don't think you can do justice to Spain in only one week, so I'd save that for next time.

Cheapest airfares are usually in the dead of winter, but you can usually find good fares if you monitor the search engines (Kayak, Airfarewatchdog, etc) on a regular basis and sign up for fare alerts.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Rome,Florence and the AC. Spain deserves much more than a week so save it for a another trip.
While reading your trip report for Paris,especially the part about the Louvre, I was thinking that you would love Florence,a treasure trove of Renaissance art.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

What time of year do you recommend doing this area? Best time of year for the best price type of thing?

I am not huge on art. I loved the Louvre, but that was the only musuem we went to for our entire trip.

Well, if Spain is worth it, then I could pick Spain and do the whole two weeks there. OR, I could do 10 days in Spain and then 7 days at Amalfi coast.

I just want something utterly European and different than Florida. That is why Venice and Paris appealed to me so much...
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM

I also recommend Rome, Florence and the Amalfi Coast. We really enjoyed Spain, especially Andalucia but Italy is the place (along with Paris) that we return again and again. Florence is my favorite European city, after Paris.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM

I would do Italy only and I would do late spring. If you loved Paris and Venice you will feel the same about rome and Florence. and it you get to the Amalfi coast at end of May or early June the weather will be good enough for swimming but not yet totally mobbed with tourists. And I would plan on doing a couple of day trips into Tuscany.

In fact, I might do the following:

Fly into Florence or Pisa and spend a few days in Florence
Pick up a car and visit a couple of tuscan hills towns for 2/3 days
Drive to Amalfi coast and spend 3 or 4 days there (Pompeii, Capri, Naples archeological museum and just relaxing in the small towns along the cost
drive to rome and drop the car
Finish and fly home from there
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Wow! The majority of people say to do Italy. So, perhaps I will definitely do Rome, Florence, and then Amalfi coast.

I can stay for free in Rome and Florence on points for Starwood. Take a look at the hotels...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corpor...berOfAdults=01
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Since you live in Florida and said being by the water in Cannes was too much home, perhaps you should consider the countryside of Tuscany instead of the Amalfi Coast. Rome,beautiful hill towns of Tuscany and Florence(also in Tuscany) or the reverse.
It's nice to mix up cities with the countryside when traveling and I love cities.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr - you read my mind!

I think my plan would be to spend 4 days in Rome, 4 days in Florence/Tuscany, and the rest at the Amalfi Coast.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM

Despite your most recent comment about Cannes/home, looks like majority of your trip (9 days) will still be on the AC. ?

Do you have 17 days on the ground, or does that include travel?

If you only have 15 real days, I'd split it 5-5-5:
5 Rome, 5 Florence/Tuscany (heavier on the countryside, since you're not into museums), and 5 on the AC.

4 days in Rome is way too short, especially if you're jetlagged. I'd try for 6, if I could.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM

NanBug's ideas are perfect. Are yo sure you want the AC after your comments on Cannes/Florida? Just curious.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Nan - I think you are right. 9 days on the Amalfi Coast would be way too long.

17 days includes travel...
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Jill,
I like the Italian itinerary. Tons to see in your chosen cities. I think Spain needs 17 days on it's own. AC is lovely in early October, but so are Rome & Florence. The weather is still warm-ish during the day...perfect for sightseeing. I think NanBug is right with the 5-5-5 split. If you have the time and don't mind losing a day or two on the AC, try to get to Capri. It is just beautiful, well worth spending an overnight, and it's just a short ferry ride from Sorrento.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Pisa has a non-stop flight from JFK (some are seasonal). I would look at flying into there and picking up a car. Visit a few Tuscan towns, drop the car, visit Florence, train to Amalfi Coast, end trip in Rome and fly out of FCO.