Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cannot find the EC 139 Train on Voyages website? It is on Bahn.de!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I have found a train that goes from Nice to Milan and then from Milan to Venice. When looking on the bahn.de website I can see the train EC 139 that goes from Nice to Milan, HOWEVER when I go to price it out on Voyages, that train does not exist. (It shows this train making another stop at Ventimiglia. Help!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The second train (ES 9729) is operated by Trenitalia. Fares for the Italian train are, without considering any possible discounts, 42.50 euros in 1st class and 30.50 euros in 2nd class.

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Jean - The 1st train from Nice to Milan that goes direct is missing in action. (EC 139) Another Fodors member found out some information that there is a dispute between France and Italy and that route has been cancelled. So, perhaps the bahn website is not updated yet.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:56 PM

I don't think it has been cancelled. The French and Italian websites won't give you results five months into the future, so you can't search for June trains now. If you search for dates in April, you'll find EC139.

It may be that you'll have to take a regional train Nice-Ventimiglia and change to EC139 there, but that won't be because of a dispute with Trenitalia. French Railways decides what trains run on which tracks in France.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Although the Bahn.de website is very useful, the most accurate timetable information for French trains is the French railways website.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM

I can't find the EC connection that I usually take at Genoa PP to Nice. And now there are several connections from SML to Nice. I usually have only the 1 connection at Genoa. I checked for April 11.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM

well, if the route has been cancelled, then it shouldn't show up, right? Bahn gets their schedules from SNCF, so they may be posting old info. As far as I see on SNCF for March, 139 is a Corail train which connected from a TER train from Nice. I see on bahn.de that they have something called EC 139 which changes to IC 139 at Ventimiglia. IC and Corail are the same thing, just different names in different countries.

I don't know, it looks funny, I admit. Because if SNCF is running a different TER train from Nice to Ventimiglia (which is the border) and then you have to transfer to IC 139, this would be impossible if EC 139 becomes IC 139 and doesn't stop at Ventimiglia (the bahn.de doesn't show that as a stop).

I was looking in March, as that is two months out and likely should be reliable. It may just be too far out to figure this out for certainty. Raileurope shows the same thing as SNCF (I wouldn't buy there, but sometimes use it for schedules). I suspect if there was a dispute, the new SNCF schedule is the accurate one, but you might as well wait a while to see if it changes.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM

I had a similar problem when trying to book train travel in France this past May. When I looked at the SNCF schedule I could see the trains I wanted but then when I clicked the button to purchase the tickets, it only showed me much later trains at much cheaper prices. I knew that my earlier more expensive choices weren't sold out because my travel was about 90 days out. It seemed like it automatically defaulted to the cheapest tickets on the days I wanted to travel but yet I didn't see any place where that default was selected. The Bahn.de and the RailEurope websites did have the accurate train information, I just knew that I wanted to book directly on SNCF to take advantage of PREMS. I persevered and eventually I was successful but I think the trick is waiting until you're exactly 90 days from your travel date. Trenitalia, ah yes, another challenge but my main problem was that my email account kept blocking transactions. Eventually, I was successful in booking.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 06:08 PM

I posed the question on TripAdvisor, and here is the response:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Provence.html
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM

lovisa, are you in La Canada?? How are you doing??
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Dear Jean: I'm great, but I'm not sure how I know you? Anyhow does Fodor's have a private message function?
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM

lovisa, just my inner spy at work... I clicked on the Tripadvisor link where you asked the train question, and I noticed the person asking the question is from La Canada. I have lots of fam and friends in La Canada and La Crescenta, so I'm really watching the flood news.

Can I use the screenname Emma Peel now?
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Christina/Louivsa - thank you for your help! The tips are really helpful. I will be sure to mark my calender for 90 days out....