cannes hotels-majestic vs. martinez -

Jun 17th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

cannes hotels-majestic vs. martinez -

can anybody tell me which hotel is more upscale and hipper? we are from the ny area and are taking our children . thank you. amy
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:01 PM

I don't think either is "hip" by NY standards, but both are upscale. We stayed at the Martinez. The A/C doesn't work well, probably because of large unairconditioned hallways. My family has stayed at the Majestic and is going back this summer. Majestic has a better location. That would be my choice if I went. There is a promotion if you join their frequent guest club, so it may pay to do that. Both have pontoons, private beaches, and pools. Check the schedule for fireworks and don't miss them!
Jun 18th, 2004, 12:26 AM

I've stayed in both hotels, and think they are quite alike. They are on opposite sides of the Croisette, with Majestic being closer to the old town, both have a pool at the front of the hotel. I understand that the Martinez has just updated its spa facilities, and redone its top floor suites, so if you are thinking of suites, I would go for the Martinez. I personally also prefer the decor of the Martinez, which is more art deco in style.
Jun 18th, 2004, 04:03 AM

I have stayed at the Majestic and Carlton and have dined at the Martinez. I fined that all these hotels slightly disappoint me as 5 star properties. The advice you have so far is pretty good and I would agree with what has been said. The Majestic is a better location but the Martinez has a bit more style.

Feb 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM

Only stay at the Martinez if you don't mind bad air conditioning. I am serious about this. The hotel has a more Art Deco feel. I would vote for the Carlton. I think the location is best and it is a classy place. They all have pontoons to sit on and I recommend doing that, very relaxing on a hot day. Don't miss the fireworks if they are around.
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:33 PM

I too like the decor of the Martinez better. And I like their beach restaurant. Some rooms have been refurbished, some have not. If you take a cheaper (well, as far as you can mention cheap and Martinez in one sentence) room, you may get one that is not so nice. Also, the ones on the side street next to the La Chunga bar can get noise from there.
I've never had a problem with AC.
The Martinez was sold to Starwood last year; don't think they will have made any changes yet.
The Carlton is closer to the old town, but can't comment on the hotel, since it was years ago that I last visited it. Both have a small pool at the front of the hotel. My children like the Martinez pool, but often there are no chairs available there, since it's such a small pool area.
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:36 PM

Oh, and last year, for the first time, they included breakfast in the room rate, and a free beach chair for every guest. Make sure you ask for that when you book.
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Must remember to look at the original date of the post before replying!