Reload this Page >

CanI tell if it will be an "updated' plane - Air France 747

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there -
We are taking Air France from Toronto to Paris in June. The Air France website etc talk about their 747's being "refreshed" with different seats and individual video screens rather then overhead screens. Is there a way that I can tell or look up which configuration we will get before we arrive. I don't really care, but if possible, I'd like to give the kids the heads up on what to expect
(I also posted in the Airlines forum)
thanks!
V
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The people that hang out on the airline forum will know, but in the meantime you might try www.seatguru.com. Find your airline and then find plane configuration for international.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM

I can just imagine an airline executive's idea of "refreshed" plane.
It means they will add more seats to each row. While this may eliminate that pesky "aisle" thing, we have all often climbed over the seat in front of us at baseball games, so why not on planes?

Yes, there will be a video screen in the seatback in front of you. What you are not told is that the new screen is only 1.5 inches across. That's ok, because the seatback will now be 2.5 inches away from your face.

A real extra is the elimination of that toilet holding system. That costs some real money to pump out each trip. Now, you will be given (at a nominal fee) your own personal sanitation device to keep with you at your seat. When you leave the plane, just like camping, you take out what you brought in.

There will also be a new fee, the clothing allowance fee. It has come to the attention of the airline management that many people wear too many clothes, in an effort to cheat on the baggage fees. So, you are allowed 3 personal items of clothing, you get to choose. Anything over that, there will be a $1.57 per piece fee.

dave
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
P_M

Dave, STOP!! You are scaring the OP!!

I second the suggestion for seatguru.com.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

I don't scare that easily Thanks for the insight Dave that they provide personal sanitation devices though - will save us some packing room not having to bring our own!

I had already looked on seatguru, and there is a similar "Air France is in the process of switching over" kind of message. They also show a couple of different seat configurations, which makes sense in keeping with a transitioning layout.

And don't get me wrong, nothing is 'riding' on the specific plane configuration as far I am concerned, but this will be my boys first "older then a toddler" plane trip, and they are intrigued/obsessed with some of those specifics.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:56 AM

Ah, this brings up the great Sky High Airlines website. For those of you that have never visited this site, it is hilarious and has been going on for years...

http://www.skyhighairlines.com/main.asp

Be sure to check out the "Free Range Fare" calculator.

Just remember, at SkyHigh the motto is "Flying More. Caring Less"

dave
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:20 AM

I used the baggage tracker.

My luggage is apparently in Uganda at present.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Ha
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:44 AM

My luggage has been more places than I have !! I'm jealous.

But seriously, I love to fly, so I try to avoid 747s anyway. "refreshed" is interesting. I always expect to get just about what I pay for. If I picked the lowest web special of the day, I don't expect much more than a clean, safe flight to where I'm going. I save miles to upgrade when going to Japan or Australia. Think of it as transportation on your way to a fantastic trip. Enjoy you vacation.