Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cancellation question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cancellation-question-968154/)

schnauzer Feb 25th, 2013 02:19 AM

Cancellation question

I know this is probably REALLY basic but... does this mean that if I cancel up to the final 3 days before I arrive at the hotel I will not pay any cancellation fee? I keep reading it and am not 100% sure. I have copied and pasted directly from a hotel's booking form.

"NO SHOW : the first night, without extras
2 3 day(s) before check-in : the first night, without extras

Sorry to be so dense.
Schnauzer

Bokhara2 Feb 25th, 2013 02:28 AM

It's not entirely clear is it Schnauzer?
I think I'd email the property & ask for clarification.

It seems that you lose one night if you cancel within 3 days or don't show, but I wouldn't necessarily bank on cancellation before day 3 being free, even if it's not mentioned.

Dukey1 Feb 25th, 2013 04:20 AM

In the "explanation" provided above I do not see any difference between "no show" and 2 3 days before since both come with the same penalties: the first night without extras...kinda hard to charge somebody with any "extras" if they weren't even THERE.

I'd e-mail and ask for clarification and I would save the e-mail response, too.

schnauzer Feb 25th, 2013 03:15 PM

I did email and got exactly the same response. even though I did ask the question above. The same cancellation policy appears to be a generic one for heaps of hotels. grrr.

Glad it is not only me that doesn't understand it.

thanks though,
schnauzer

PhilippeProvence Feb 26th, 2013 11:22 PM

The rule in most hotel in France is that there is no charge if room is cancelled sufficient in advance. In this case I would say that if you cancel at least 4 days in advance, no charge will be made.
Hotel with tougher restriction makes it very very clear...
So I wouldnt worry too much. but you can always clarify with the hotel. Is it a chain or a privately owned hotel ? That usually makes the difference

Odin Feb 27th, 2013 12:40 AM

The "extras" referred to could be local city tax which is usually a small amount eg EUR1 per person. VAT I believe is usually included in the room rates.

Odin Feb 27th, 2013 12:44 AM

The "extras" referred to could be local city tax which is usually a small amount eg EUR1 per person. VAT I believe is usually included in the room rates.

PhilippeProvence Feb 27th, 2013 02:49 AM

The city tax (which is decided by the town hall, rate is different in different towns and pending on the category, the max that can be applied to 4 star hotel (most expensive tax) is 1.50€
VAT MUST be included in all prices in France (apart when selling B2B)

kerouac Feb 27th, 2013 04:26 AM

I would assume that a possible extra would be if you booked breakfast also -- they won't charge you for the breakfast you don't eat, but they will charge you for the room.

justineparis Feb 27th, 2013 07:13 AM

I have seen that wording before and always interpeted it to mean I could cancel BEFORE the three days free, and after the three days I would lose one night.

janisj Feb 27th, 2013 07:22 AM

It appears there is some sort of communication/translation issue. They may be using a generic translation program. It really could mean that canceling before 3 days - no penalty. 2 to 3 days - one night penalty. And day of - the full booking amount. Or something else??

If it was me - I'd ask for their policy <i>in French</u>. Then you can translate it yourself or ask here for help and not have to guess.

StCirq Feb 27th, 2013 09:15 AM

I agree - it's a bad translation. Ask for it in French, then it will be clear what the actual intent is.

Christina Feb 27th, 2013 10:05 AM

That seems pretty typical and if that is all that is mentioned, I would assume that if you cancel before the 3 days, there is no charge. Some hotels do charge one night's rate if you cancel within the 3 day period, same as same day, I don't find that so unbelievable.

kerouac Feb 27th, 2013 11:13 AM

I generally use Accor hotels, which allow cancellation right up to 6 or 7pm on the day of arrival with no penalty. I would be completely stressed out very often if I had to worry about whether or not I would really arrive in a hotel 3 days in advance.