Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Canary Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/canary-islands-1076137/)

brwatts Oct 18th, 2015 04:05 AM

Canary Islands

I am thinking of planning a trip to the Canary Islands in early December. I was thinking of being based out of Tenerife and and taking a ferry one day to Gran Canaria.

I want to: go canyoning, kayaking, hiking, skydiving and underwater diving.

Can anyone give me any useful tips or advice that will help me plan my trip? Any recommendations for companies to book through, hostels, other activities that are a must do while there?

Also, google tells me the weather will be generally decent for this time of year. Does anyone have any experience going in December? Any advice?

Rubicund Oct 18th, 2015 04:21 AM

The weather is much better in the European winter than most places on the European mainland, mainly due to the fact that the islands are off the west coast of Africa and therefore much further south. The daytime will be around 70 ish, but evenings may be quite cool.

The ferry across to Gran Canary takes about 80 minutes minimum, depending on which of the two routes you choose, but they do run regularly through the day. and that in turn may depend on the activity company you can find for your list. It's unlikely you can do all of those in one day.

bilboburgler Oct 18th, 2015 04:52 AM

Yes to the weather

Most of the big tourist islands offer much of a muchness so I'd not bother to take the ferry.

Note that the climate can vary a fair bit within and island, so Tenerife north is far wetter than Tenerife south.

traveller1959 Oct 18th, 2015 10:28 AM

Weather will be quite nice in December. The ocean is warm enough for year-round swimming and diving.

Be aware that winter weather in Tenerife is completely different between north and south. In the north, chances are high for clouds and even rain, while the south will almost always be sunny and desert-like. However, scenery is much nicer in the north, while the south is dominated by mass-tourism.

I know all Canary Islands and it is hard to say for me which one is the best. Tenerife has this impressive volcano, but few beaches. Gran Canaria has some mountains and the sand dunes, but is otherwise the least spectacular of the islands. Lanzarote is, in terms of volcanic scenery, most spectacular. Fuerteventura has the best beaches.

If you choose Tenerife as a base I doubt if it makes sense to to a daytrip to Gran Canaria. You will spend the most of the day travelling and you won't see anything spectacular on Gran Canaria.

Can't tell much about your activities, but each islands has the full range of tourist activities. Kayaking might be difficult because the sea will be rough in winter, especially on the west coasts of the islands.

brwatts Oct 19th, 2015 04:19 AM

Does anyone know if it is easy to travel between the north and south of Tenerife? For example, could I stay in the south but spend the day in the north?

bilboburgler Oct 19th, 2015 04:25 AM

very easy, just hop on the bus gus. Or rent a car.

traveller1959 Oct 19th, 2015 06:29 AM

Actually, we did it the other way round. We stayed in the region around Puerto de la Cruz in a beautiful vacation home and drove for swimming to La Arena - one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, with black volcanic sand. Driving time is about an hour. Since attractions are scattered all over the islands and there are lots of scenic roads, renting a car is most advisable.