Canals of Paris

Jun 21st, 2001, 07:41 AM
MakaNui

Canals of Paris

Can anyone recommend a one day tour of the canals of Paris? I get the impression there are lots of different canals ... so I'm hoping to find the most charming and/or interesting tour.

Jun 21st, 2001, 08:13 AM
elvira

Canal St Martin tour is excellent; it's been a few years since I took the tour, so I don't know if it still starts in front of the d'Orsay. It ends in the Villette, which is a wonderful park and group of museums/exhibition halls.

Here's the website:
http://www.canauxrama.com/

Jun 21st, 2001, 08:17 AM
s.fowler

We took the canal st. martin trip in 1992 -- it was 3 hours from the D'Orsay quai to Parc de la Villette. It was WONDERFUL. You go UNDER Place de la Bastille and through real Parisian neighborhoods. Do it!
Here's a picture I took on our trip: http://www.geocities.com/travelswithus/travel/paris.htm [it's at the bottom of the page]

Jun 21st, 2001, 08:35 AM
Fred

Cruising the canals and through the locks.

Here are a few:

Canauxrama
13, quai de la Loire
75019 Paris
Tel: 001-33-1-42-39-15-00
Fax: 011-33-1-42-39-11-24
Metro: Jaures

Paris Canal
19/21. quai de la Loire
75019 Paris
Tel: 011-33-1-42-40-96-97
Fax: 011-33-1-42-40-77-30
Metro: Jaures

Ourcq Loisires
9, quai de la Loire
75019 Paris
Tel:
011-33-1-42-40-82-10
Metro: Stalingrad
For more Paris information e-mail me [email protected]

Jun 21st, 2001, 07:02 PM
Nancy

I just took the Paris Canal trip in May. I loved it. The man who narrated the trip was very entertaining and it was a new look at Paris.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 01:11 PM
linda

Nancy, Which group did you use?

linda

Jun 23rd, 2001, 08:12 AM
xxx

I am going to Paris with my Mom the last week of October, and a canal boat trip sounds great. Can anyone tell me if the tour will still be operating that late in the season?

Thank you.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 10:21 AM
em

We took the trip early one morning from the dock near the d'orsay. I believe it
was paris canal--the guide played the clarinet under the bridges. Pick up some great bread to munch on the voyage.
Great fun.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:18 PM
elvira

So the guy with the clarinet is still guiding? Does he still have a ponytail? I can't remember whether he's English or American.

xxx:
According to the website, the Canal St Martin will be closed from mid-September through mid-December for maintenance. There are other boat trips listed on the site (not in English yet) which look pretty cool:
http://www.canauxrama.com/

Jun 24th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Nancy

The canal trip I took in May was called Paris Canal - email [email protected] or website www.pariscanal.com. I requested a brochure before I left for Paris which came in handy as I was staying in an apartment and didn't have ready access to the brochure. I called to make sure of the schedule while there and they took a reservation for me. Not sure if a reservation is necessary but can't hurt. I took the afternoon trip from Parc de la Villette to Musee d'Orsay stop as the afternoons were nicer in May than the mornings. The trip is 3 hours and very leisurely.