Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Canal Cruising In France, Ireland or Holland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 11:20 AM
marie

Hi, I sent for a book from Crown Blue Line which rents houseboats for crusing in Northeast USA, and Ireland, France and Holland. Was mainly interested in Holland but after reading the book and looking at the pictures I am intrigued with Alsace-Lorraine and Brittany. The cruise covers many areas but the Canal D'Ille Et Rance in Messac-Dinan sounds wonderful with fairytale mill homes, stone bridges and a chance to meet sailors from the sea. Has anyone done these cruises? What boat company did you use? where did you go? etc. etc. Thanks for your help in advance.!! <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 04:11 AM
francesca

We took a cruise with Rives de France and it was the best vacation I've ever had. We went on the Canal du Midi, in the south of France, and I am not familiar with Alsace and Brittany. But if you want to really get away from it all and experience peace and quiet as well as beautiful scenery, I can recommend this type of trip. As with any holiday, it's best not to go during peak times (like summer). We went in October and it was perfect. I have lots more to say but don't want to take up too much space, so email me for more info if you wish! <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 08:41 AM
s.fowler

It's not clear whether you want to "drive yourself" or be driven. Anyway in the latter category try this website. http://www.europeanwaterways.com/ <BR> <BR>The September issue of Travel & Leisure [paper] has a nice article on driving it yourself. Haven't checked to see if it is on their website. <BR> <BR>I can't imagine anything more wonderful than to wader slowly though the french countryside on a barge. *sigh*

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 09:06 AM
kam

Just to further confuse you------we were in England last year and spoke to an owner of a canal boat in Stratford. He was telling us that there is an extensive system of canals and locks in the Western UK. Don't know specifics, but it sounded like a great idea! There are also people who pilot for you and some include wonderful meals on board as well (in France, I think) This way, you have the option of riding your bike along the canal while someone else minds the boat--you can arrange to take side trips as well. Friends of ours did that a couple years back. Hope you have a wonderful and restful trip! <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 08:09 AM
Pam

Marie: <BR> <BR>We have done two barge trips - a week on the Canal du Midi with Rive de France and a week on the Nivernais with Locaboat Plaisance. Both were incredible - fantastic memories - beautiful sites and wonderful food/wine! We are again taking a week barge trip this fall to Brittany - Redon to Dinan - using Locaboat Plaisance once again. <BR> <BR>The first trip we did alone - just myself and my husband. The second trip we did with another couple. This years trip will be with the same couple. The boats say they will sleep several more than we would put aboard - for all of our trips we have rented a boat that sleeps 6 to 8 for just 4 of us and we found it much more comfortable. <BR> <BR>If you haven't already made your plans do so - it will be a trip you will cherish. We have a great contact for info and barge info - e-mail me if you are interested. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage! <BR> <BR>Pam <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Sheila

Topping too!

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Robin

Hi Marie! <BR> <BR>We did a barge cruise in France in May, and loved it. This is a slightly different venture-- this couple owns and operates the barge themselves, and therefore they don't work through the usual companies. Therefore your options for location are limited to wherever they happen to be. We traveled on the Canal de Bourgogne, and I believe now they are ion Champagne. Next year may be Alsace. You can follow their plans on their web site: www.swancruises.com. <BR> <BR>This is not a self-drive barge (not sure if you wanted that), but it's a wonderful experience. The barge was completely redesigned (including slicing it in half and lengthening it!) in 1997 by an American couple who had previously spent 13 traveling the world in their sailboat. They carry a maximum of four guests, in two double staterooms. They are very gracious and the food is outstanding! A typical day begins with a few hours of travel along the canal (over a maximum of 12 miles-- the barges don't go very fast). Then a multi-course lunch, followed by an excusrion in the afternoon to nearby sites which they have previously researched. Then cocktails and another spectacular dinner. It's utterly relaxing and you are very well cared-for! <BR> <BR>If you would like any more details feel free to contact me directly. <BR> <BR>Robin

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 01:20 PM
Sheila

Topping for Sheryl