Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Canadian Flags on your backpack (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/canadian-flags-on-your-backpack-616254/)

JandaO May 17th, 2006 06:44 AM

Canadian Flags on your backpack

I recently heard that it might be a good idea to have Europeans think you are Canadians rather than Americans. Would anyone here say you weren't from USA? I wouldnt.

wally34949 May 17th, 2006 06:54 AM

I think we should leave the flags behind and enjoy visiting Europe.

SuzieC May 17th, 2006 06:55 AM

ludicrous

c2Paris May 17th, 2006 07:01 AM

I never travel anywhere without a Canadian Flag displayed on my luggage!! But then I AM Canadian and just proud of it!

I've never had people fall over to treat me any better than any of my other travelers companions (some of who come from the United States).

AnselmAdorne May 17th, 2006 07:36 AM

JandaO, I'm not sure we're going to let you, but if you can answer these few questions, there may be hope:

How do Canadians pronounce the letter "Z"?

What is a bush party?

A toonie?

A riding?

Pogey?

How about allophone?

Back bacon?

Click, as in a measure of speed or distance?

Can you use the word dépanneur in a sentence?

What do we mean when we refer to someone as "pure laine"?

And the toughest one of all, what great Canadian event happened on September 28, 1972? If you get that one right, what Canadian band wrote about it in one of their songs?

Good luck, the clock is ticking.

Anselm

Intrepid1 May 17th, 2006 07:42 AM

"Click" as in a measure of speed or distance is hardly a Canadian phenom...we've used it in the US military for years.

nospam May 17th, 2006 07:42 AM

Love the Canadiana! Being Canadian and proud of it, I always like to wear a Canadian pin. I take lots of them too, and give them to kids if they are interested. It goes over well, and makes people smile.

ira May 17th, 2006 07:43 AM

Hi J,

How do you pronounce "about"?

((I))

nospam May 17th, 2006 07:45 AM

To Intrepid1, if I say "click" to an average American, they have no idea what we are talking about. The US military is another issue, as all militaries have a special, often universal lingo.

Budman May 17th, 2006 07:46 AM

Most people in Europe could care less -- just bring your tourist $$$ or Euro. ((b))

PalQ May 17th, 2006 07:47 AM

In 37 straight years of European travels i've never been abused, attacked or had any unpleasant incidents because i'm an American so how would a Canadian flag help me? Or anyone - this is one of those 'evergreen' ideas that surface periodically, especially during times of American blunders and bulliness abroad such as in Iraq - Europeans don't blame our government's actions on travelers - though Bush's approval ratings in Europe are around zero i've seen no difference towards ordinary travelers.

JandaO May 17th, 2006 07:47 AM

please understand that I would never do this. I thought it was ludicrous also.
Just wanted to see if anyone wouldnt say they were American when they were.

Anselm,
:)

Robespierre May 17th, 2006 07:47 AM

The whole notion that Americans are mistreated in Europe is bunk. If you act like a jerk, it doesn't matter what colors you fly.

PalQ May 17th, 2006 07:49 AM

And i would never wear an American flag abroad or at home either - i'm not a flag waver and when i see Canadians/Canadiens abroad wearing them i actually take offense that they are saying "we're not Americans" - makes me want to vomit actually - same when i see Yanks wearing American flags.

JandaO May 17th, 2006 07:50 AM

i meant to type...
werent american when they were...

nospam May 17th, 2006 07:50 AM

ira!
How do you pronounce "roof"?
:)

llamalady May 17th, 2006 07:52 AM

.......Anselm - your questions have a
decidedly East Coast bias! As a B.C.
native I have no idea what some of them
mean - bush party? Pogey? Allophone?

........Only Boy Scouts/Girl Guides
should festoon themselves with pins
and badges, everyone else should
travel on their own merits - leave
the flags at home!

AnselmAdorne May 17th, 2006 07:59 AM

llamalady, guilty as charged, LOL.

At least I didn't ask JandaO how to pronounce Musquodoboit, eh?

Anselm

hhildebrandt May 17th, 2006 08:06 AM

Why not a Brazilian one?

guaranteed May 17th, 2006 08:09 AM

Sept 28, 1972 is an easy one.

Canadians can tell you exactly where they were, and who they were with, when Henderson scored.

Must have missed the song though.